Best BMW LL-01 Approved Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well your choices are sort of limited as far as readily or locally available. Basically you have M1 0W-40, Castrol Syntec 0W-30 or "German Castrol" or "GC" for short, and then the BMW dealer oil, a Castrol-blended synthetic 5W-30 product. I would use any of the 3 with confidence, but change the oil somewhat before the oil life monitor indicates to, just to be on the safe side. The GC is usually only carried by AutoZone or PepBoys. M1 0W-40 is probably the most widely available and comes in qts only for the retail market. (no money-saving jugs) Once out of warranty, there are many oils that would work fine in place of LL-01 oils, if changed in time and if the oil has sufficient HTHS (hot viscosity).

Are there better oils than these few? Perhaps, but will probably cost more overall and be harder to find. What is your application?

The Castrol SLX Professional isn't really all that great. Fortunately it's cheap. It's a heavy 5w30 with mediocre VI. The only things it has going for it are that the HTHS is moderately good (3.5, supposedly) and that the NOACK number is low (6.2%).

Honestly, for the typical driver, it's fine. I wouldn't be comfortable running that out to 15,000 miles (or even 10k) if you drive aggressively.

There are better oils out there specifically designed to meet LL01 spec. I'll agree that German Castrol Syntec 0w30 or Mobil 1 0w40 are probably the best bets for "readily available" oils.

If you drive an M car, and/or really beat on yours, that changes the tone of this discussion.

We have available Kendall GT-1 5w40 for $4.99 a quart locally. It's BMW LL-01. Cheaper than either GC or the Mobil 0w40.

Last edited:
35.gif

The best oil for BMW LL-01 isn't a BMW spec oil. I would guess Mobil 1 High Miles 10w-30/40 may offer superior performance.

It is for a Supercharged Mini Cooper S. It has 40k and the previous owner changed the oil at the stealership using the oil life monitor and Mini branded oil.

Motul 8100 X-Max
GC
Quartz 9000 Energy
Pentosin Pentospeed

These are easily available but except for GC probably only by mail order.

Originally Posted By: Medic_Coop
It is for a Supercharged Mini Cooper S. It has 40k and the previous owner changed the oil at the stealership using the oil life monitor and Mini branded oil.

But again, define "best." This could mean a huge number of things -- most of which will make little to no difference in the real world, and almost all of which require information that none of us will ever have.

I have purchased some Mobil 1 0w40. It is on sale at AZ for $31.99 for 5 quarts and a filter. I will just use the filter in my other applications since Mobil1 doesn't have a filter for the Mini.

Hi,
Medic_Coop - You have made a wise and sensible choice. AJ mentions oil consumption - in real terms it is noted Worldwide as being very good in that regard

OT - For interests sake your price is amazing - an hour or so ago I noticed it priced in our Supercheap shop at $A94.95 for 5 litres - enjoy!

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Watch consumption with that stuff.

Has Mobil 1 0w40 been found to have higher consumption than German Castrol 0w30?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back