PureOne 25288 (3,000 miles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not really impress by this filter espectially for the price ($5.99) regular price. I pulled this filter off my dad's 01 Sierra 6.0 V8. It does mostly short trips. Service was 4 months and 3K miles. One side seems to be beat up and the ends are put together by an adhesive, not metal like other PureOne, and just about all of the pleats are not stright. The AC Delco (E-core) that was used before this P1 was in much better shape. Below is the PureOne and a link to the E-core that was on prior.

img20100918212545.jpg

img20100918212551.jpg

AC Delco (E-Core)

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1884079

The last pure one I cut open was a very well made oil filter. That is not what I would expect an element to look like after 3k

Based strictly on the pics, I'd say the ecore looks better. That said, I don't have an issue with the pleats not being all straight. And, all the ends of P1 or other metal endcaps filters are held by an adhesive, holding the media to the metal. In this case it appears some of the adhesive went over the side of the metal end. Was the same oil used both times? The first pic looks darker than either of the other two, could be the lighting. Were both filters run the same time of the year? Just wonder if the this filter was exposed to more moisture/condensation?

And don't know if it makes a difference, but this is the another GM engine with internal bypass, rather than in filter. Honestly can't say I've had a P1 look like the one shown, though I think it did it's job.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Based strictly on the pics, I'd say the ecore looks better. That said, I don't have an issue with the pleats not being all straight. And, all the ends of P1 or other metal endcaps filters are held by an adhesive, holding the media to the metal. In this case it appears some of the adhesive went over the side of the metal end. Was the same oil used both times? The first pic looks darker than either of the other two, could be the lighting. Were both filters run the same time of the year? Just wonder if the this filter was exposed to more moisture/condensation?

And don't know if it makes a difference, but this is the another GM engine with internal bypass, rather than in filter. Honestly can't say I've had a P1 look like the one shown, though I think it did it's job.

The E-Core was run during Washington's winter while the P1 was in the summer. Just so we are clear, The metal I was talking about is bonding the start and the end of the media together (side) not the top and bottom of the filter.

Had you said the media joining seam I would have better understood to what you were referring. I don't think, obviously, that all the Puro filters use metal at that point. Either way, the 14610 looked good, this one not as much. Happens, lots of choices.

Originally Posted By: daman
wavy pleats @ only 3k?...looks like coolant intrusion get it checked out!!

Don't you find that odd that this is the first time this truck has ever used a P1 and the filter looks like this when E-core I pulled out 4 months ago, looks great. Maybe just maybe P1 is not always perfect in every application.

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex
Originally Posted By: daman
wavy pleats @ only 3k?...looks like coolant intrusion get it checked out!!

Don't you find that odd that this is the first time this truck has ever used a P1 and the filter looks like this when E-core I pulled out 4 months ago, looks great. Maybe just maybe P1 is not always perfect in every application.

Don't you find it possible a leak could have formed AFTER the last OC???

never said P1 was right in every application but when you've open as many as i do and only see it with coolant/moisture intrusion it gives a eye opener,try a search also...

I put on a Microguard (Fram) on as a replacement to see if it's the a filter issue or coolant. I'm not going to jump in and say it's coolant just because it's a P1 filter.

That's nasty,man. I'd switch to M1 EP with an M1 filter. 5 quarts and the M1 filter for $38 at AZ. Minimum,switch to the new M1 oil. Try it for 6 months and 6k. Good luck with it.

OTOH, as another recent thread with a beaten up P1 showed, it was a LIM gasket coolant leak. Not saying it's specifically that, but 3k isn't much for the even cheesiest filters, let alone a P1.

I'd check to see if coolant is leaking and at least rule that possibility out for sure. A pressure tester is a great tool to find internal coolant leaks that can't be seen. I used one the other day to spot a tiny leak in a hose that I couldn't find for the life of me. That tool has helped me more times than I can count. JMO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'd check to see if coolant is leaking and at least rule that possibility out for sure. A pressure tester is a great tool to find internal coolant leaks that can't be seen. I used one the other day to spot a tiny leak in a hose that I couldn't find for the life of me. That tool has helped me more times than I can count. JMO

That does look like it has been contaminated with coolant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back