Rotella T5 10w30 GL1800 4406 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil apparently shears. Honda recommends 10w30. I'm not comfortable with this thin oil.
oilreport.jpg

Looks good. Do you think Honda developement know what they are doing? Just do what the manual says and you'll be able to hand this bike down to your kids or grand kids.

typically you do NOT want to read what the stoners write.

this *IS* a 30wt. 9.3cst or 56.79susvis is 30wt. this oil is clearly still in grade. it did not shear down much.

your iron and copper were below the ua and aluminum was barely above. all in all, pretty decent uoa!

skeptical of where the lead came from. usually lead is not in background scatter. and 4 is pretty darn low to be from fuel or booster. babbit plain bearings?

Thanks, I feel better the shear is not as bad as I thought. I'll just continue doing what I'm doing for now I guess.

Ron,
while i, personally, dont like the idea of 10w30, honda says its ok in your motor. and since this oil not only held up, but did for 4.4k miles. hey, looks good. keep doing what you are doing. silicon was low as well.

very curious about the lead though.

sample again in 4.4k miles?

Originally Posted By: Steve S
You guys think the motor is still new? The GL is the 6 cyl tourer?

???
21.gif
???

Can you rephrase those two questions... so that they actually make sense?

Honda's oil change interval for the GL1800 and most other street bikes is 8,000 miles. I change my GL18' oil every 5,000 because it makes me "feel good". I wonder how the 10-30 would be if run for the whole OCI?

prs

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: Steve S
You guys think the motor is still new? The GL is the 6 cyl tourer?

???
21.gif
???

Can you rephrase those two questions... so that they actually make sense?
The 1800 CC GL is the touring bike ? If so those engines last and last so would 16,000 miles be considered still breaking in so to say?

That's a single overhead cam 1800cc flat six. Yes they do take a while to break in.

I put 58,xxx on an '07 GL1800 using Rotella 15W-40 with 4k OCIs and a Purolator L14612 filter. Certainly not enough miles to make a definitive statement but it appeared to work well in my case. No oil usage - but it's a Honda Gold Wing (yawn). What else is new?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back