Is/has Rotella T5 going the way of the Dodo?

Rotella T5, 15w-40: The Data:

- Feb 16th, I was in our closest WM and noticed T5 @ $15 a gallon, on clearance. I bought what they had. The shelf has since remained empty.
- Another local WM, T5 is not on clearance, but is on "rollback", $19.97 a gallon, in stock.
- Another local WM, T5 is neither clearance nor on "rollback, $22.xx a gallon, in stock.
- Local Tractor supply, T5 is on sale, $22.97 a gallon, sold out empty shelf. They no longer stock the 2.5 or 5 gallon options anyway.
- Amazon just dropped (Feb 26) to $53 a case ($18 per gallon) but I have picked up a few "open box" cases recently at $42 ($14 per gallon.)

It seems a few retailers are in various stages of discontinuing T5, or at a minimum getting rid of the "OBS" product to make room for the refreshed packaging with additional certifications. I have yet to see a bottle of "new label" product in person.

Has "syn blend" become irrelevant in the current market, wherein folks with older trucks and tractors run the cheaper T4/Delvac 1300 and folks with emissions intense trucks turn to full synthetic (T6/Delvac Extreme) per manufacturer requirements?

Edit: I understant WM is a pay for shelf-space enterprise. Perhaps shell no longer wishes to pay. Yet T1 and three (or more) types of Delo are still there...

1708950886505.jpg

Last edited:
Always seemed a bit redundant to me to have 3 brands of Rotella that met more or less the same application. I assume the retailers have figured out which one doesn't sell as well and are clearing out shelf space possibly?

I'm not much of an oil price watcher pre-covid, but isnt this really only down to pre-covid pricing? or still not there yet?

Has "syn blend" become irrelevant in the current market, wherein folks with older trucks and tractors run the cheaper T4/Delvac 1300 and folks with emissions intense trucks turn to full synthetic (T6/Delvac Extreme) per manufacturer requirements?

I'd argue that syn-blends are slowly becoming the norm or a larger share of the shelf space. Chevron is updating their lineup where syn-blends are their base products. The Mobil products that are available at Walmart all appear to be syn-blends (1300 Super) or full synthetics (Delvac 1, Delvac Extreme, M1 Turbo Diesel). I don't think T5 is going anywhere at Walmart. I have found oil inventories on Walmart shelves fluctuate a lot regardless of HDEO or PCEO's and even vary by store in the same area.

I'd argue that syn-blends are slowly becoming the norm or a larger share of the shelf space. Chevron is updating their lineup where syn-blends are their base products.
I think it’s be becoming impossible to meet an SP spec without some synthetic. I have no idea about the CK diesel specs. But the chevron 15W-40 still has the passenger ratings and shell does not IIRC.

To the OP - does the T5 have an SP rating. If not maybe they’re clearing space for an updated version with it ?

I think it’s be becoming impossible to meet an SP spec without some synthetic. I have no idea about the CK diesel specs. But the chevron 15W-40 still has the passenger ratings and shell does not IIRC.

To the OP - does the T5 have an SP rating. If not maybe they’re clearing space for an updated version with it ?

I don't think SP diesel/HDEO exist yet. I've only seen SN/SN+ for these mixed fleet oils.
But I think you are correct about synthetics being part of the mix to meet increasing durability/additive/emissions/oci requirements, especially if they want to meet S ratings.

It appears the inbound label adds SN and some manufacturer specs that the old label did not have. That said, 15w-40 is the grade of interest for me. I'm not sure what else might be happening with 5w-40 or 5w-30 grades.

I see the latest images of the new container does indeed add "SN" to the end of the Specification list. I wonder if they changed the detergent and ZDDP/Moly package to fall in line with the T6. I hope not. I was looking at that oil because of its level wear and friction fighting additives.

Back