"New" STP Blue Bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
35.gif

Looking forward to this one.....

With all the other over-additized supplements off the market (SLOB, VSOT) if this stuff looks not too bad, I wonder if some who like additives will re-think using it?

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Looking forward to this one.....

With all the other over-additized supplements off the market (SLOB, VSOT) if this stuff looks not too bad, I wonder if some who like additives will re-think using it?

Same here, so far the new blue bottle sounds intriguing! Don't know what I would use it in though,,mebbe the old Durango :) ?

Last edited:
Sorry I'm on vacation and didn't have internet.

Here we go. Unless a lot of additive settled out that I didn't get, it appears that there is only about enough zinc/phosphorous to keep from diluting your oil's AW content.

STP.jpg

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Sorry I'm on vacation and didn't have internet.

OH THE HORROR!!!!!!
shocked2.gif

lol.gif

Thanks for posting this!

Geeze, if those numbers are correct, I'm disappointed!

But, like STP says, this additive will still push a 4-4.5 quart sump from SM Zn levels to SL levels, and thicken the oil.

That's what they say it should do....but man, I was hoping for something close to the red-bottle amounts!

I love the viscosity @ 100C. Is THICK a technical term? Waste of money but not unexpected. STP cannot have an old style high ZDDP additive as it would open them up to lawsuits from idiots who overdose and kill their cats and O2 sensors.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
OH THE HORROR!!!!!!
shocked2.gif

lol.gif

Thanks for posting this!

Heehee Naw. Not so bad up here w/o internet in Jellystone. No TV or air conditioning either until today. At least I didn't get eaten by a bear.

Blackstone commented that the insolubles were possibly settled out ad pack, although I turned the bottle over a few times. Maybe I needed to stir it mechanically.
But I'm not still impressed. AAP sells the new Rislone oil supplement that promises on the label to boost zinc to at least SL levels.
Says to use 1/2 bottle for 2004 cars and a full bottle for older--or something like that. And there are plenty of anti-wear ad boosters out there.
I was hoping for proof that cheap old STP would do more than thicken the oil, but I don't see it.

I guess they are relying on traditional "My pappy always used it" rather than making an effort with marketing the performance.
IMO, they should publish some wear test results and ad pack data if it really does anything. (and improve the ad pack too)

Originally Posted By: lipadj46
I love the viscosity @ 100C. Is THICK a technical term?

They said it exceeded their test capacity for viscosity. I guess the machine doesn't go to 250 cSt.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
There was a VOA done on the red-bottle stuff years ago on here, and the word was the blue-bottle stuff was the exact same, only thicker.

Thanks for sending in a VOA of the new stuff.......

OH THE HORROR!!!!!!
shocked2.gif

lol.gif

Thanks for posting this!

Heehee Naw. Not so bad up here w/o internet in Jellystone. No TV or air conditioning either until today. At least I didn't get eaten by a bear.

Blackstone commented that the insolubles were possibly settled out ad pack, although I turned the bottle over a few times. Maybe I needed to stir it mechanically.
But I'm not still impressed. AAP sells the new Rislone oil supplement that promises on the label to boost zinc to at least SL levels.
Says to use 1/2 bottle for 2004 cars and a full bottle for older--or something like that. And there are plenty of anti-wear ad boosters out there.
I was hoping for proof that cheap old STP would do more than thicken the oil, but I don't see it.

I guess they are relying on traditional "My pappy always used it" rather than making an effort with marketing the performance.
IMO, they should publish some wear test results and ad pack data if it really does anything. (and improve the ad pack too)

You might have better luck adding a quart of Redline to the mix. You would boost the HTHS numbers, TBN, add ester cleaning abilities and add a good amount of ZDDP & PHOS because they love this in their oils!

You might have better luck adding a quart of Redline to the mix. You would boost the HTHS numbers, TBN, add ester cleaning abilities and add a good amount of ZDDP & PHOS because they love this in their oils!

I agree. Or even a quart of Valvoline VR1 "street legal @ 1400 ppm."
Also there is break-in ads...I have some Lucas TB Zinc Plus that I got at AAP, too. Only use about an ounce per oil change @ 38,000 ppm for the Lucas so should last at least several years for a couple 15 oz bottles.

Originally Posted By: lipadj46
I love the viscosity @ 100C. Is THICK a technical term?

They said it exceeded their test capacity for viscosity. I guess the machine doesn't go to 250 cSt.

Yes I gathered. That was what one would call a rhetorical question.

Originally Posted By: CarNewb
river rat have u done UOA on the yellow rislone bottle, or whats your opinion on it?

No. It's new this year. Looks like it is designed specifically to do the job of getting the zddp levels to API SL levels or higher. STP does not claim to do that.

Originally Posted By: CarNewb
river rat have u done UOA on the yellow rislone bottle, or whats your opinion on it?

No. It's new this year. Looks like it is designed specifically to do the job of getting the zddp levels to API SL levels or higher. STP does not claim to do that.

I was not aware of the newer version,but the one we get here has always been a yellow bottle.

It's not the regular oil "Engine Treatment." I was talking about the new "Oil Supplement"
Sorry for the confusion. It's also yellow.

It's not the regular oil "Engine Treatment." I was talking about the new "Oil Supplement"
Sorry for the confusion. It's also yellow.

My bad i should have said it was about the regular engine treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back