rusty subframe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got another saturn. For a while I've gotten ones needing motor work but now that people are checking oil I'm seeing rusty subframes take these things off the road. A new cradle is about a 6 hour job for me. Despite the apparent dispair, the car has only 122k, runs good and looks good from above.

rstDSC_0041.jpg

So the lower control arm's sitting about an inch outward of where it should be. This gave the car impressive negative camber and toe-out. Previous owner, of course, noticed the problem when his tire wear was a little uneven:

rstDSC_0034.jpg

Well, for an old beater, let's put some wear on the donut...

aDSC_0033-1.jpg

When I looked at it the full size tire was back on it, didn't hold air, and the beads popped off the rim. Was in the guy's driveway so he probably drove it home like this. I put one of my good (holds air but nearly bald) tires on and made him follow me to my house, where, once safely in my driveway, I paid him and got the title.

Subframe supply is a real concern! One junkyard I frequent yanks motors & trannies when cars come in, sends the shell out back to rot/crush, and tosses the now-empty cradle in the car. Makes them easy to find, though a large percentage are now rusted out as well.

My plans if that place fails are a chain, LKQ, with locations in less rusty places, and a delivery truck that does a "loop" for free.

I would either use an old subframe as a template and make a new one or find the best one you can and reinforce it with plate.

No sense wasting a good car.

In Canada we have a law that even if an automaker goes out of business there has the be a parts supply for 10 years minimum after that.

Don't know how old your car is but that's the case here.
wink.gif

Oh, I can get one new, but paying $719 is not my cup of tea. The car's a 95 but a 2002 frame is the same exact part.

If you think this is bad, imagine doing a full frame on a rusted out toyota pickup!

Originally Posted By: StevieC
I don't have rusted frames... I have Krown. Wish you did too.
frown.gif

Based on what you posted elsewhere I'm going to have our next car (used or not) rustproofed. My brother is the sort whom thinks nothing of spending money for yet another vehicle for the winter and does not realize not everyone can do that.
31.gif

If it's good weather this weekend I will put the Santa Fe on jacks stands and snap some more pics for you now that it has over 320K KM's (192K Miles) it looks like brand new and still sports the original paint on the foot well pans!
wink.gif

Krown works, and those who use it know... I just wish the folks in the U.S. had it because it's phenomenal and way cheaper than replacing frames, parts and body work.

In Canada we have a law that even if an automaker goes out of business there has the be a parts supply for 10 years minimum after that.

wink.gif

How can a company that is out of business still make parts?

They have to ensure that parts are available even if they go out of business. Usually after a vehicle is made they sell the dies used to make the parts to a third-party when the vehicle is no longer being produced.

Also after-market parts is a huge business so there is alot of "wants" for these dies.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125

wink.gif

How can a company that is out of business still make parts?

That's what I was wondering too. Once they're done, how does the government force the existence of a supply?

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
That's what I was wondering too. Once they're done, how does the government force the existence of a supply?

Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saturn, Plymouth, and Mercury didn't go "out of business". They were phased out and simply ceased to exist.

However, they'll require GM to continue to ensure that parts are available for Oldsmobiles, Pontiacs, and Saturns.

They'll require Chrysler to continue to supply parts for Plymouths.

They'll require Ford to continue to supply parts for Mercury vehicles.

Rarely does a mainstream car company to completely cease to exist without a trace. The last few were foreign companies... Yugo... Daewoo? (which was actually GM).

It has likely been decades since a mainstream domestic manufacturer completely ceased to exist, without a trace. What would have been the last one... American Motors?

Originally Posted By: ekpolk

I dunno that is what I'm told from my dad would worked in "Parts" at Chrysler's warehouse after he left the assembly line.

I feel the same way... I was under the truck tonight doing the O2 sensor and it looks spotless.

It was starting to rain so I had to move quickly... I will snap pics next time I'm under it again.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I don't have rusted frames... I have Krown. Wish you did too.
frown.gif

KROWN is the best. It's all I use.

Agreed!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back