Toyota TRD filter cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the Toyota TRD branded PTR43-00080 filter from my last oil change. There are only about 6 months and 1000 miles on it with the Toyota OEM 0W-20 oil.

No visible solid debris was found on the pleats or in the canister.

The filter is advertized as 98% efficient at 20 microns—but no specifics are given other than that.

This appears to be identical to the Champion Labs built Royal Purple filter, and with the addition of the welded on nut over the dome, much like the K&N. I paid ~$8 for it, plus shipping, but could have had my local dealer order them in and saved a little money on shipping.

The media is supposed to be fully synthetic material and is very soft and flexible when oily…hence the screen to keep it in order. The outer layer of media is finer spun than the inner layer. It appears to me that the inner layer is more of a padding of sorts to keep the outer layer from being damaged by the metal screen.

TRDsideview.jpg

TRDthreadendbypass.jpg

TRDbaseADBV.jpg

TRDpleatdepth.jpg

TRDtwolayers.jpg

TRDtwolayersclose.jpg

Inner media layer:
TRDinnerlayerclose.jpg

Outer media layer:
TRDouterlayerclose.jpg

Ya. It's a good filter.
I think the media would collapse without the screen. It is not like paper media that stays firm. It is pretty soft stuff.

Thank Dan, It seems much better than the OEM Denso in just about every way. I have yet to find RP filters to try out anywhere around here. We don't have Pep Boys and so far, no one carried them.
Right now I'm trying the Bosch Distance Plus. It's too pricey for what it is, IMO, but I decided at the last minute to see how it works out.
Thanks for the link! I wonder if more filter will go to synthetic with screens eventually.

Rob

Looks like very well made filter as alluded to in your filter thread. 1k is a drop in the bucket for that filter. High line, extended OCI filter for sure. Thanks for sharing.

btw, great close up pics

Hadn't thought about it. I had to change oil at six months for warranty, and just didn't get the miles this period.
I could run it on the old microbus with 10W-40 and 20W-50 and see how it does for a year. It will fit either my cars.

Yeah, that is a pretty stout $8 filter. IMO, way better than the OEM Denso/Toyota 90915-YZZD1 it replaced.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
btw, great close up pics

Thanks, I bought my wife that camera and use it more than her.
Next Christmas maybe she'll get a new impact wrench.
wink.gif

I really like these filters with the screen backing. This filter, the Fram XG and RP, all look like they are on a totally different playing field then any other filter out there. Stout, is an understatement!

I was thinking, oh geez another plain ole filter cut open post, then I seen it. That thing is a beast! The ADBV looks great too!

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter
I was thinking, oh geez another plain ole filter cut open post, then I seen it. That thing is a beast! The ADBV looks great too!

So when i buy my Hacksaw for this STP, i dont just cut it clean down the middle like im taking a Hoffritz steak knife right through the core of an Apple?

Righteous filter. Im asking myself how many times and in what ways it was cut.

You deserve a Photography award!

This Filter, and these Pics, are
01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back