Safe to use 20+ year old filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pete C.
Originally Posted By: daman
Originally Posted By: Pete C.
Originally Posted By: daman
I would cut a few open and see how the media is holding up then i would probably use them sure.

the ones in the plastic wrap will be ok i bet.

post a few pics of the cut open one's

I'd bet you loose that bet.

and you know this because your there right now looking at them?????

Don't need to even see them. I probably helped make them 20 odd years ago. I'm sure if you want, he'll send you a few to use on your vehicles. Provided you pay postage.

No problem,send away.......

I been to auto fleet markets like Iola, Hershey and others where there are always some vendors there selling old filters of all kinds and there are people picking thru them like crazy. What sells for the most is auto brands like AC, Mopar etc. People restoring cars want date and period correct filters. Any old car parts there is always someone who will buy them. Friend of mine searched for a long time to find a date correct NOS AC filter for his restored 1969 Camaro Z28, had to have a date code on it relative to the time the car was built and he paid a lot for it. He hinted he paid over $100 for that filter and he has started to motor many times since although the car is never driven on the road, its a trailer queen and worth about $75g.

NOS - New Old Stock

thanks for the replies. i sat down and sorted through all the filters. found a couple other brands I didnt notice the first time through. Anyone ever heard of a "Janet" brand oil filter? Not me, but I found one amidst them all. Also a couple Frams that had late '70s stamps on them, a couple Isuzu filters, couple hastings, couple "MGB" filters, and a few huge Fleetguards. I kept a couple old ones of each brand just to display in my garage along with the vintage oil cans I've picked up over the years. My buddy said he'll take the rest to the local recycling place.

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex
I wouldn't use them. I wouldn't even feel comfortable using them if they were older than 5 years old.

I still have 3-4 Honda PCX-004 filters for S2000 I bought 6 years ago. Since I use only one filter a year, the last one will be 10 years old when it is used in 2013-2014.

I'm curious; what else was in the warehouse if you don't mind my asking?
27.gif

Originally Posted By: RacerE7773
27.gif

I was wondering the same thing.

Originally Posted By: RacerE7773
27.gif

lots of garbage, scrap metal, and rusty things. Did find some pretty old snap-on and craftsman tools.

If anyone is interested, my friend and I cut open one of the Fram filters and one of the Pro-tecs. The cardboard box the Fram was in had a stamp on it from 1989 and is for the 1st generation honda accord. Not positive if this filter is really 21 years old. Have Frams always had cardboard endcaps? The pro-tec seems like a decently made filter even though the shell was really thin compared to the Fram.

DSCF0656.jpg

DSCF0657.jpg

DSCF0658.jpg

They both appear to be in good condition. No mold or mildew on the media (although, I don't know if anyone anywhere has seen mold or mildew on media
grin2.gif
). As others have said, it's hard to know the half life of some of the compounds/resins.

That Pro tec looks pretty good to me. I'd use them. Having metal end caps, I don't think the media would go anywhere. Not so sure on the Frams.

Just a mini update but one of the old Frams I found in this stash was used on a 1978 GMC Sierra for about 5K. Didnt get a chance to cut open the filter after being removed but I was told no problems occurred while it was in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back