Safe to use 20+ year old filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddy bought a small warehouse recently and in the process of cleaning the place up, we broke open a locked container full of oil filters... somewhere around 100-125 filters in total. They are a mix of random Wix, Purolator, Napa, and pro-tec for various applications. Some are individually shrink wrapped, some in boxes of 12, and others in individual cardboard boxes. Some of them have the manufacturing date stamped on the boxes - ranging from the late 80s to early 90s. My buddy doesnt want them so he said I could have them as long as I took them all.

I was wondering if ya'all would think these filters are still in working condition and safe to use. I figure the individually shrink wrapped ones can't be too bad. No rust on them at all but I'm not sure how the media inside would've held up for all these years. Others have surface rust. The paint on a couple has faded so badly that the numbers are almost unreadable.

I'd hate to see all of these good filters go into the dumpster.

Thanks in advance.

I would cut a few open and see how the media is holding up then i would probably use them sure.

the ones in the plastic wrap will be ok i bet.

post a few pics of the cut open one's

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
ebay..

Don't do that. You don't want a filter failing and to be responsible for somebody's engine damage.

I might be concerned that if any glue had been used internally (as some do) it might be dried up and besides shrinking and coming away from whatever it was supposed to attach, might crack and fall apart - perhaps AFTER the filtering media (in other words, into the outgoing oil).

But then - I ain't no expert and may be WAY off base here. Like the others have said - cut open a few and see what's inside!

would u use 20 yr old paint on a new home or a old home, fair and balanced, u decide.................

I would cut a few open, the shrink wrapped ones should be OK. Would I use them? Maybe on a beater that I don't care much about, my Jeep or E-150 would never see one.

You could ask the manufacturers about the shelf life.

Shrink wrapped would still have air inside the filter so all parts apart from the exterior would have some exposure to air over the 20 years.

Was it a temprature controlled building?

If so I wouldn't hesistate to use them as long as the external appearance is fine.

ebay..
Originally Posted By: rjacket
ebay..

Don't do that. You don't want a filter failing and to be responsible for somebody's engine damage.
ebay..
Ebay

Use them at your own risk. There is no longer a warrantee on filters that old. Call Wix and see if they'd like them for their filter museum.

Originally Posted By: daman
I would cut a few open and see how the media is holding up then i would probably use them sure.

I'd bet you loose that bet.

Originally Posted By: Pete C.

and you know this because your there right now looking at them?????

The adhesives will definitely weaken with exposure to air over that long a period. The neoprene or rubber will also deteriorate. I would also chuck them out.

Originally Posted By: Pete C.

and you know this because your there right now looking at them?????

Don't need to even see them. I probably helped make them 20 odd years ago. I'm sure if you want, he'll send you a few to use on your vehicles. Provided you pay postage.

i would avoid the protecs. i cut one open made sometime in 2009 and you could actually see holes (specs of light) when you held it up to a light. ive cut open alot of new filters and have never seen media that poor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back