ford tells me to run 10W40 in my 5.4 ford 3V

Status
Not open for further replies.
many moons ago I worked as a tech at a couple Ford dealers and "critical customer" = major PIA that is driving you nuts ,this is a way to appease them and get them out of your store. The 40 weight wont hurt anything but possible very long term durability and if the customer simply wont listen this is a way of quieting the engine down and getting rid of them.
Its a stretch to say Ford is "recomending" this oil.

I agree, we had a few "Gems" of customers over the years when I worked in dealerships. Lucas OS went into a few so called noisy engines owned by major "PIA" customers. It didn't do them any good but it got them out of the dealership, which did us good.

Originally Posted By: stranger706
I wonder why they skipped 10w30 and went straight to 10w40?

XXw-40 is the first grade that's not "energy conserving". Energy conserving grades 5w-30, 10w-30 are designed to thin to borderline 20 weight 1000-2000 miles after an oil change.

GM put in a dipstick which effectively overfilled the engine a quart over the original "full", then installed a larger sump to cope with Aussies who didn't ever expect to empty a sump between normal service intervals.

I just for the first time put MC 5w-20 in my 2005 F150 with the 5.4 and its quite a bit noisier at idle, I can really hear the Phasers now but it runs fine and I'd rather have reliability than a quiet engine. FWIW- I've ran 10w-40 and even some 5w-40 Rotella in my truck with no issues whatsoever.

These engines are just inhrently noisy, of course Ford should have known this was going to cause issues with "whiny" customers.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Oh yeah, a 40-weight is going to BREAK things! I'm amazed the GT500, and Ford GT stay together with that 5w50 in them.

I agree with OVERKILL. If I ever buy a Mustang V8,5W50 is the first thing I`m putting in it.
I had a 2001 Bullit and the Lincoln delaer put 5w-30 in it instead of the 20 since it wasnt widely avalable yet. That REALLY killed the free revving nature and reponsiveness of the engine. I would stick with the 20w unless you have an issue. My motor was quiet on the 20w. No taps knocks or slaps.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Oh yeah, a 40-weight is going to BREAK things! I'm amazed the GT500, and Ford GT stay together with that 5w50 in them.

I agree with OVERKILL. If I ever buy a Mustang V8,5W50 is the first thing I`m putting in it.
I had a 2001 Bullit and the Lincoln delaer put 5w-30 in it instead of the 20 since it wasnt widely avalable yet. That REALLY killed the free revving nature and reponsiveness of the engine. I would stick with the 20w unless you have an issue. My motor was quiet on the 20w. No taps knocks or slaps.

That would be a 32V 4.6L, not quite the same beast as my 16V 5.4L, LOL.

That does not detract from the fact that Ford does in fact use 5w50 in the GT500 and Ford GT however. Which are both 32V powerplants.

Kinda kills that "you have to run 5W20 or your engine will explode" argument doesn't it.....

Last edited:
Mazda is doing the same thing with the Mazdaspeed engines and the Turbo's smoking. If they come in with a smoking turbo (oil pushing past the turbo seals) they are putting in a 40weight oil.

Actually FRPP has been recommended 50 Weight for Open Track for a while.

Ive heard various opinions on this.

Given the actual viscosity Ive never seen how an engine running at 265F Oil Temp with 50 weight would be an issue. They dont self destruct at 200F with 20 weight.

A friend of mine has a 2006 Lincoln town car with the 4.6 liter engine. It does not have vct but it is spec'd for 5w-20. He has run nothing but 10w-30 or 10w-40 since it was new with absolutely no problems. The motor is all original , but this is the kicker, it has over 350,000 miles on it! He was a limo driver averaging about 2,000 miles a week. It may have run just as long with the 5w-20, but IMO it is clear a thicker oil did not hurt engine durability.

Originally Posted By: jorton
Originally Posted By: stranger706
I wonder why they skipped 10w30 and went straight to 10w40?

XXw-40 is the first grade that's not "energy conserving". Energy conserving grades 5w-30, 10w-30 are designed to thin to borderline 20 weight 1000-2000 miles after an oil change.

I can attest to this. In my oil burner, right after an oil change it will burn oil at a rate of one quart per 3000 miles. After 1500-3000 miles it will burn at a rate of a quart every 2000 miles. It has to be the shear making it burn faster.

You people just don't want to differentiate between the different modular engines. "Modular" is not an all-encompassing term. The are a host of differences by era, type and intended purpose which removes oil selection from a "once size fit's all" category. The GT500 doesn't have VCT. The 3V engines (save the V10) do. That's one critical difference. Also, they only list 2009 and up 5.4L and '06-up 4.6L 3V. What does that mean with regards to the earlier engines? Not sure, but there were a number for design changes incorporated into the '09-up engines.

Finally, the "one size fits all" concept doesn't exist anyway. Over and above factory recommendations, "thick" isn't always right and neither is "thin."

It's pretty clear this is a band-aid for a problem, not an endorsement of thick over thin or a recommendation for 40 grade oil.. About all it says is that, a) Ford has more design work to do, and B) 10W40 won't blow the engine up.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

It's pretty clear this is a band-aid for a problem, not an endorsement of thick over thin or a recommendation for 40 grade oil.. About all it says is that, a) Ford has more design work to do, and B) 10W40 won't blow the engine up.

Exactly the point I was making. The engine isn't going to magically explode with a 40-weight in it.

FWIW, I don't condone the use of a 40-weight in anything 3V. The old 2V engines were built around 5w30, so 0w40/5w40 isn't a big jump.

Ford seems to follow this logic as well, based on their recommendations in Australia (or rather, perhaps, I'm following theirs).

I did some serious digging into the design of the newer (2004+) 3v modulars requiring 5w20 and found the following engine components were exactly the same when compared to the 1997 5.4L modular engine(5w30/10w30 was Ford's recommendation back then),

- main/rod bearings
- hydraulic lifters
- chain, chain tensioners, and guide
- oil bypass valve (same relief value)

I looked thoroughly at a number of parts catalogs/service manuals (Motorcraft, Melling, Ford and retail autoparts, official Ford/Motorcraft service manuals). I also looked at bearing clearance specs, etc. The VCT system can compensate for higher viscosity oils because of the built-in feedback system (VCT solenoid/position sensor) that regulates oil flow into the VCT phaser. So it is not surprising that the OASIS report recommended 10w40 for excessive VCT noise. In fact, I read that low pressure to the VCT can cause it to rattle, making noise.

The main difference aside from the VCT system, is a higher volume pump to actuate the VCT's. There is also a pressure reduction into the heads (because high pressure pump feeding the VCT phasers) lubricating the cam, lifters, chain tensioners, and chain. The pressure to the VCT system is not reduced. So it appears the 3v modulars are versatile in regard to oil viscosity.

Not recommending that anyone not follow the manufacturers recommendation, but there doesn't seem to be any harm in running a 30 wt in these engines. Ford South America recommends 5w30 in this same vehicle/engine.

Only bringing this back from the dead to post that Ford pulled this SSM, it was NOT a TSB, from their system. It shows that it does not exist and was not replaced.

May I please ask how an engine oil that is so thin that it causes an engine to produce more mechanical noise is "good" for the engine?

Can someone name me an instance where a "thicker" oil was substituted and it caused more mechanical noise or oil consumption?

I have personal experience on several occasions with the use of "thin" oil resulting in more mechanical noise, more oil consumption or both.

Or maybe I've got it all wrong:
Perhaps increased mechanical noise and/or increased oil consumption are welcome product enhancements courtesy of Xw20.
28.gif
27.gif

Rickey.

Originally Posted By: swirlparanoid
hope this works i had to be redneck nd take a picture of it since i dont have a scanner i did notice that it doesnt mention my year now......... Uploaded with ImageShack.us]imageshack[/url]

I find it interesting that 10W-40 is only recommended if temps are above -20 degrees f...

I guess Ford is not as concerned about the specter of "cold start" wear using those antiquated oil spec's as some people are!

No, I think Ford just recognizes that modern 10W-40's will perform just fine down to -20.

Remember, a '10W' oil is cold-crank rated at -25, so even their -20 rec. is conservative....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back