Looking for a fun car under 30K

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a big fan of Subarus so I have to go with any turbo Subaru with a well maintained history. They're great cars, I've beat the [censored] out of mine and it just kept going and going. Mine is non-turbo but around here there's too much traffic to ever get a chance to push a turbo, but if you've got the space for it, check it out any of the turbo Subarus (Legacy, Forester, Impreza) are fun cars to drive.

As an added plus, they're easy to change the oil on, I don't even have to lift my Forester to do an oil change

Originally Posted By: evandostert
I have been looking for something fun to drive around town.

I am trying to decide between a mild off-roader or a sports car. Must be able to handle a little snow.

I have test driven so far

off-road
1= jeep I like it alot but looks like it will frustrate me. I have been reading about death wobble and chronic leaks. Really really slow and not so enjoyable on the free way.

What Jeep model? "Death Wobble" is the most overblown non-problem I've ever heard of. If a mechanic knows his tush from an anthill, he can fix it (its all related to trackbar flex and control arm bushings). Don't fear it. The only current Jeep model that is even remotely subject to the phenomenon is the Wrangler, anyway.

You can pick up a used Cherokee for a song right now, and they're solid and reliable out to the 300,000 mile range. And lots of fun if you get a 5-speed (even the automatic isn't bad- its acutally a good bit quicker but you don't get the fun of stirring your own gears).

I should look into a v6 honda nice sleeper option.

No rwd cars unless they can handle snow. A bmw on blizzaks would work barely. No V8 RWD muscle cars are snow worthy enough.

I am trying to avoid used cars unless I find a fabulous deal on a high end car.

If the choice is between driving rear-drive cars or living where it snows... I'd MOVE SOUTH.

grin2.gif

I wonder how common a car can be until it's so common that the common-ness kills any sleeper-ness it has... I am not sure if Honda is a fun-sleeper car...

Subary Legacy GT could be.

What about a new Cobalt SS? Fastest stock fwd car around the nurburgring has got to be fairly fun to wring out, stepped rev limiter for auto launch and no lift shifting, all with factory warranty.

as if a stepped rev limiter was somehow unique...?

But there is no reason to choose only 'wrong wheel drive' because you live with snow.

Get a set of cheap winter wheels and dedicated winter tires. Almost anything becomes manageable with that combo, even in a blizzard.

If the majority of your driving is not snow then please tell me why you would want the FWD experience?

In my mind, and my experience of owning a few touted 'fun' cars, hands down the most enjoyable one I've ever had was the current design of the Mazda MX5 Miata. Super great balance of power and handling, looks, reliability, and just plain fun. I've missed it ever since I was stupid enough to give it up after a divorce. Dumb.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
as if a stepped rev limiter was somehow unique...?

But there is no reason to choose only 'wrong wheel drive' because you live with snow.

Get a set of cheap winter wheels and dedicated winter tires. Almost anything becomes manageable with that combo, even in a blizzard.

If the majority of your driving is not snow then please tell me why you would want the FWD experience?

He was looking at a VW GTI, so I assumed right or wrong wheel drive wasn't a factor. As for the stepped limiter, I think most automatics don't let you rev the bejesus out of the car in N, but I didn't think it was very common in manual trans cars? Plus I assume there is some specialized engine management so the engine is "ready" to produce full power, and not get caught in the middle of a fuel cut when you let out the clutch...

A fun car under $30k in Boston would be:

- a 3 series convertible BMW for about $27k plus an old car to drive during the winters for about $3k.

I've actually seen someone on the Bimmer forums who has a Z4 as the only car in Boston. Obviously, she has a set of winter tires.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
I wonder how common a car can be until it's so common that the common-ness kills any sleeper-ness it has... I am not sure if Honda is a fun-sleeper car...

Subary Legacy GT could be.

Nobody looks twice at my '08 STI. From most angles, it looks very similar to the regular Impreza. I like it!

The Ralliart is the step down from the Evo, though still a 2.0 Turbo. It's to the Evo what the WRX is to the STI.

It's funny that Mitsu still uses the Ralliart moniker since that WRC prep/development co. has not entered anything (nor has Mitsu itself) in the WRC for a long time.

But they may still prep/run entries (Pajeros, etc.) in the big rally-raids?

I can see a bmw in boston as an only car. I would prefer an awd but then were at a pretty steep price increase.

A pony car stang/camero is really not all that fun in any snow.

Please no rwd snow arguements. I have done that before and it was no fun at all.

I am still looking I wonder if a base model evo would fit the budget.

Please no rwd snow arguements. I have done that before and it was no fun at all.

In what car?

My 530i had no problems whatsoever this past winter, and we did get quite a bit of snow. It's all about the tires.

Granted, it's not what I'd call a "fun car" exactly, but if you push it, it's not exactly boring either.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

In what car?

My 530i had no problems whatsoever this past winter, and we did get quite a bit of snow. It's all about the tires.

Granted, it's not what I'd call a "fun car" exactly, but if you push it, it's not exactly boring either.

Lol neither is my cavalier but it can be loads of fun in the twisties with good tires and struts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
It's all about the tires.

I TOTALLY and FULLY agree with you on this point above, since sooo many think that they can "get away with" all seasons on a RWD in the ice/snow- WRONG!!!!
31.gif

But he seems to be DEAD SET AGAINST RWD, so I doubt he can be convinced it is doable.
wink.gif

The wrong wheel drive is pointless and is quickly killing a good post here. I have had a rwd ranger, 80's buick lesaber and driven a mustang gt in the snow. I just don't want the hassle.

Idk how much "fun" his car is gonna be if he is dead set against RWD - then again, if safety is important - which it should be - he'll have to give up some fun and go for a "semi-fun" car -

Has the Subary Legacy GT (pre-2010) already been suggested?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back