Mobil 1 10W-40 High Mileage; 8,229 miles; M-B E320

Status
Not open for further replies.
uoa001.jpg

At 5,630 miles on the oil I was most of 1 quart down (there is a small oil leak). Pulled 2 more quarts via dipstick pump, changed filter, added the 3 quarts listed on the report. My intent is to do that closer to every 3K miles, and end up adding 2 quarts of new oil (25% of capacity).

Still considering the switch to Mobil 5W-40 TDT or 0W-40 when I'm done with this oil, based on my reading here.

At 140k miles, using a HM oil makes sense - especailly if he has a leak.

Looks good - your 'continual oil change' plan sounds like a good one!

Geo_Prizm,

At the time of the sample, 140,519 miles on the vehicle. Not really a full set of service records from the previous owner. Looks like he was using Mobil 1 early on, but record-keeping stopped at some point. No clear indication what was in the sump when I bought it.

The M104 engine has dual overhead cams where the cam lobe directly contacts the flat surface of the lifter ... No rollers. Seems like an argument for trying to keep the extreme pressure anti-wear additives as close as possible to how oil was formulated in the mid-90s (within reason, I'm not going to run $$/quart racing oil).

The data I've been able to find for the Mobil oils implies higher ZDDP for the High Mileage (900 ppm Phosphorus, 1000 ppm Zinc), even more for the 0W-40 (1000 ppm P, 1100 ppm Zn), and still higher for the 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck (1100 ppm P, 1200 ppm Zn).

The 10W-40 HM was the best deal in the local WalMart the day I went to get oil ... It was $23 per five-quart jug, while the only 0W-40 and 5W-40 TDT on the shelf (that day) were single quarts.

Just change the oil and filter at 10,000 miles with out all the oil /filter gymnastics. You are putting too much thought into something that doesn't require that much thought.

M1 HM oil is a perfect fit,look at that add pack and ending TBN! outstanding,great report you found your oil stick with it.

do 10,000 next time!

Originally Posted By: AMRoberts
Geo_Prizm,

At the time of the sample, 140,519 miles on the vehicle. Not really a full set of service records from the previous owner. Looks like he was using Mobil 1 early on, but record-keeping stopped at some point. No clear indication what was in the sump when I bought it.

The M104 engine has dual overhead cams where the cam lobe directly contacts the flat surface of the lifter ... No rollers. Seems like an argument for trying to keep the extreme pressure anti-wear additives as close as possible to how oil was formulated in the mid-90s (within reason, I'm not going to run $$/quart racing oil).

The data I've been able to find for the Mobil oils implies higher ZDDP for the High Mileage (900 ppm Phosphorus, 1000 ppm Zinc), even more for the 0W-40 (1000 ppm P, 1100 ppm Zn), and still higher for the 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck (1100 ppm P, 1200 ppm Zn).

The 10W-40 HM was the best deal in the local WalMart the day I went to get oil ... It was $23 per five-quart jug, while the only 0W-40 and 5W-40 TDT on the shelf (that day) were single quarts.

My '94 Geo Prizm has DOHC engine too,and it has 140K miles on it.I have the car for a little over 2 years.So I do not know anything about the maintenance history of the car ether. When I first started using synthetic oil I blended 1 quart of M1 HM 10W-30 and 3qts of M1 EP 10W-30 in order to prevent a possible leak.No leaks so I started using GC 0W-30 and now M1 0W-40.

If there is an autoparts store near you, you can get 5 qts (single qts or a 5qt container) of M1 0W-40 (any Mobil 1) and a quality Mobil 1 oil filter for $29.99, sometimes even cheaper than that.

By the way I read the UOA again, it is impressive for 8229 miles with a TBN of 5.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buster
It's not that impressive considering 3 qts of makeup oil! LOL

What is the oil capacity of this car? 5 qts?

Geo_Prizm,

8 quarts.

Buster's point about not being overly impressed by the sample TBN is valid, see my notes under the report. At 5600 miles I was down most of a quart (front timing cover leak, I believe), pulled two quarts out with a pump, replaced the filter, and made-up almost 3 quarts.

I didn't run a VOA, so I don't know starting TBN for the oil. A quick search only found a 2+ year old VOA for the 10W-30 HM, without a TBN ... But I didn't try varying the search much.

I'm Presently running this oil in my VFR Motorcycle 71,000 mile, zero oil burn, but it never does no matter the oil.

I've jumped quite a bit in MPG, atleast 2 or 3 mpg consistantly. In riding areas I typically see mid to high 30's , I'm seeing 40 mpg consistantly

This is the slickest shifting oil I've run, I'm not sure if the seal swell agent is beneficial to friction clutch disks, but the oil is working fine thus far.

I've run alot of different oils, this one was a dramatic change.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
I'm Presently running this oil in my VFR Motorcycle 71,000 mile, zero oil burn, but it never does no matter the oil.

I've jumped quite a bit in MPG, atleast 2 or 3 mpg consistantly. In riding areas I typically see mid to high 30's , I'm seeing 40 mpg consistantly

This is the slickest shifting oil I've run, I'm not sure if the seal swell agent is beneficial to friction clutch disks, but the oil is working fine thus far.

I've run alot of different oils, this one was a dramatic change.

I ran it in my 86 VFR700 to try to help with an oil leak (I think sitting all winter with this oil in it helped quite a lot as it doesn't drip anymore) and the bike ran and shifted very smoothly. This is one of the few Mobil1 oils I like.

Well,

The guy running it in ATV's is alittle reasuring, they tend to get the clutch abused alot.

So far im getting strong clutch pull, and mpg is up an instant 3pmg.

I lost some mpg with corn fuel, this gained it back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back