PureOne or Distance Plus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running a P1 14610 with QSHP on a 3.0L Accord for the 5-10% of OLM or 1yr Honda recommended max (likely the latter). I'd have no problem running a P1 10k-12k if done in reasonable time(1year). And considering Honda's use it twice recommendation it's a non factor. I'd be more confident taking a P1 that far than the Honda A-02, but that's just me.

DP looks like a fine filter, but I wouldn't pay the difference between it and a P1. Just not as good a value, IMO.

Unless there is something very special or different in design with the DP media witch from the naked eye looks no different at all, it is FAR far from worth that coin!

heck for just a few bucks more one could step up to a RP,UPF or even a EAO and have a real filter that will go the distance.

Originally Posted By: daman
Unless there is something very special or different in design with the DP media witch from the naked eye looks no different at all, it is FAR far from worth that coin!

heck for just a few bucks more one could step up to a RP,UPF or even a EAO and have a real filter that will go the distance.

Exactly, I can't tell anything different. It feels different but that doesn't say anything about how it filters.

I suppose it could debated for some time, but the DP filters at the same level as the P1(99.9% excellent) has a thicker/heavier base and thicker can. Tough to improve on the efficiency.

It also says it has a greater holding capacity(~2x), how that is acheived, Im not sure.

For most in the know, it's likely not worth ~3x more than the P1, it wouldn't be for me.

Now for the dolt who did that silly Rubicon filter dissection/evalution posted here a while back it might have fixed/improved on 'his grips' about the old P1. Though the quality silicone adbv looks to be the same. I won't even mention the author's goofy description of that.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
the DP filters at the same level as the P1(99.9% excellent) has a thicker/heavier base and thicker can. Tough to improve on the efficiency.

At what micron i cant find that info?,and base plate and can thickness means nothing in a PC application,it's just marketing IMO. Now if it was marketed AND recomended as a extended drain filter (witch i dont think it is) thats different because the P1 is not marketed as that.

But we know how the P1 performs with r_r bench test,very efficient.

According to a Busa email (that's around here somewhere) all but 4 are at the 20mu level. Those 4 others are at 40mu level and they happen to be the smaller/est filters and include the popular #14610.

As an fyi, there is an oversize filter for that, the 14459 which would be at the 20mu level, and it has a different bypass design (not the flat 45rpm looking spring). No biggie to me but might be to some.

I would suspect, though I have no proof, that the new Bosch DP is the same as the P1, as far as efficiency/micron beta levels.

thats the thing i couldn't find it with a quick check on the web just brags about how much dirt it can hold and that it has "special media",that doesn't mean nothing to me,lol

probably will be the same tho 20mu as the P1 and like you stated.

If you look through this section, you'll find a fram or 2 that for the most part survived upward of 15,000 miles. I would be my hat that a much better assembled Purolator could do it without so much as shrugging.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
If you look through this section, you'll find a fram or 2 that for the most part survived upward of 15,000 miles. I would be my hat that a much better assembled Purolator could do it without so much as shrugging.

I do agree with that.

How much dirt are you going to produce? If you're doing 30k a year, you're not producing much dirt per mile. If you're doing 8k year ..
21.gif

How does the GM OLM tell you to change any filter and any oil @ up to (highest I've seen) 13k?? It knows the warm up mileage and knows how much dirt you've produced.

the DP filters at the same level as the P1(99.9% excellent) has a thicker/heavier base and thicker can. Tough to improve on the efficiency.

At what micron i cant find that info?,and base plate and can thickness means nothing in a PC application,it's just marketing IMO. Now if it was marketed AND recomended as a extended drain filter (witch i dont think it is) thats different because the P1 is not marketed as that.

This is on the Bosch website, Keep your oil clean—longer with DistancePlus high-performance oil filters. Tested against a leading filter, DistancePlus holds up to 300% more dirt, allowing your filter to perform longer!. Doesn't say it will work for long drains directly but says it holds more dirt which lets the oil filter work longer.

I have run my P1 for over 10,000 miles with no oil usage nor problems in my Nissan. I think that I could have gone 15k easily IMHO.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

This is on the Bosch website, Keep your oil clean—longer with DistancePlus high-performance oil filters. Tested against a leading filter, DistancePlus holds up to 300% more dirt, allowing your filter to perform longer!. Doesn't say it will work for long drains directly but says it holds more dirt which lets the oil filter work longer.

Yea i seen that too,not much else for info on there web site.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr

Yea i seen that too,not much else for info on there web site.

That is true.

Originally Posted By: Odysseus2010
Which would you choose for a 15k drain interval - or would you choose some other filter?

If I was doing 15K OCIs, I'd probably play is safe and get the Distance Plus. Not saying the PureONE couldn't do it if the engine was pretty new and clean, but the Distance Plus is speced to be a long OCI filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back