Pennz Ultra and the "cleaning" thing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, nice job on getting the PU threads locked fellas!
Now, my question. It seems that "cleans 35% better" is a big selling point from what I've seen thus far.
That doesn't seem like an oil I'm going to trade in my Purple goo for. I mean, like most here, I don't need an oil that does all that cleaning as mine is all sparkly inside from proper maintenance.
Is this geared more for folks buying a used car with unknown histories?
For folks that don't take great care of their cars?
Curious.
And for the heck of it - can we see if we can keep this from getting locked before dinner?

Originally Posted By: PurplePride
Now, my question. It seems that "cleans 35% better" is a big selling point from what I've seen thus far.
That doesn't seem like an oil I'm going to trade in my Purple goo for. I mean, like most here, I don't need an oil that does all that cleaning as mine is all sparkly inside from proper maintenance.
Curious.
And for the heck of it - can we see if we can keep this from getting locked before dinner?

They got locked? Wich ones?

And cleaning oils are for people like me.. that think their Iron Duke is sludged up after 500 miles of driving after SeaFoaming wice and putting ATF in Oil to clean it.

Originally Posted By: JCCADILLACMOBILE
Curious.

And cleaning oils are for people like me.. that think their Iron Duke is sludged up after 500 miles of driving after SeaFoaming wice and putting ATF in Oil to clean it.

Dude seriously,whats up with you??

Originally Posted By: lexus114
Curious.

I like my engine Cleeeeeean. i cant take the Valve Cover gasket off my engine has a thing on the top, but i want to keep it cleeeean.

Presently i have Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic 5W-30 in there.. even if it IS on Bypass it will only be for 4000 miles for one of the bes toils on the market. i CANT see how thats bad, i didnt have the 3 plus $5 for parts.

What Say You?

25.gif
27.gif
05.gif

Curious.

Its all marketing IMO. Its geared for people that are willing to pay a little more for marginally better add pack. PU is probably meant to complete with M1EP and shelf space at Walmart. I compared the PDS for PU and PP. I wasn't impressed... this is supposed to be their flag ship premium oil. Its not all that different or superior than PP. I guess I was hoping for much better volatility specs and high VI that would compete with Amsoil. PU has left me a little disappointed.

Last edited:
Curious.

Having a Iron Duke I'd say sludge would be the least of the problems!

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
Curious.

Having a Iron Duke I'd say sludge would be the least of the problems!

The early 2.5L "Iron Duke" motors were very good strong engines. The later ones were scrap.

Curious.

To be honest and not mean/rude, I had the same question pop into my head a time or two...No offense implied.

Originally Posted By: MoparDak05
Curious.

To be honest and not mean/rude, I had the same question pop into my head a time or two...No offense implied.

Guys.. my car is my girlfriend, im paranois,d i wanna keep it squeaky cleeeeeean. As a result, i ask pointed questions on what to do, and why, in furtherance of knowledge.

:ufo:

So it appears that nobody has any info to suggest that this is really a superior product as compared to other synthetics?
Is this a group III, IV, or V?
I don't think I need the cleaning as much as some might.

This is a total shot in the dark. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I would guess that in order for it to be superior to PP, it would have to be a group III with some group IV, or at least have a REALLY strong additive package.

According to Johnny it's a GRP3+ base stock with the mention of esters being part of the formulation.

Is PP GRP3+ or just GRP3?

Guys.. my car is my girlfriend, im paranois,d i wanna keep it squeaky cleeeeeean. As a result, i ask pointed questions on what to do, and why, in furtherance of knowledge.

A little off-topic, but...

I'm doing something that you might be interested in because you believe in Maxlife as I do... I'm running a 10-15K OCI of Amsoil SSO 0w-30, then another 5-7k OCI of another synthetic with a strong cleaning package, such as PP. This is essentially a big cleaning phase to remove most, if not all of the deposits left on any seals (this car had a history of long dino OCIs before I bought it). After that, I'll be switching back to Maxlife blend or synthetic to condition/maintain the seals. The whole point is to make it easier for the Maxlife to make direct contact with the seals.

Give it a shot if you'd like.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MoparDak05

A little off-topic, but...

I'm doing something that you might be interested in because you believe in Maxlife as I do... I'm running a 10-15K OCI of Amsoil SSO 0w-30, then another 5-7k OCI of another synthetic with a strong cleaning package, such as PP. This is essentially a big cleaning phase to remove most, if not all of the deposits left on any seals (this car had a history of long dino OCIs before I bought it). After that, I'll be switching back to Maxlife blend or synthetic to condition/maintain the seals. The whole point is to make it easier for the Maxlife to make direct contact with the seals.

Give it a shot if you'd like.

If you feel that this will clean more sludge than Pennzoil ULTRA of 0w or 5W-30 grade, i will try it too. it will take me a few months to get that mileage on ther.e. but i will give it a shot, if you feel it is a good "Prep" to the maxLife. I may actualy enjoy it, as it will be in ADDITION to the ATF in the Oil i already did (And Drained out) and SeaFoamed - twic.e.

Dak you feel this is the best way to make it closest to Spotless? If so, im all for it and ill go back into the snow..

NO IDEA where t oget AMSOIL though! Indianapolis IN...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back