Valvoline Synpower 5w30 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
syn1.jpg

how can blackstone make any comment on the cold viscosity properties of the oil if they did not do MRV or CCS tests?? "5w-30 to 10w-30 range" cannot be concluded form the data, only that it is a 30 weight. yes they can conclude that it is 5w based on the knowledge of the sample but based on the limited data they can't test for it. bad science.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
I certainly hope there is more to this oil than the VOA can show,

For sure there is.

There is lots more to be seen in current oils than can be gleaned from any $20 VOA.

But it would be nice at the least to get the visc # at 40C but not many labs give us that either.
21.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing. May I ask what the date on the bottle is?

IIRC, Synpower had more additives until I saw these more recent VOA/UOA.

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Originally Posted By: rudolphna
I certainly hope there is more to this oil than the VOA can show,

I bet there is.

More and more I suspect that there is lots more to be seen in current oils than can be gleaned from any $20 VOA.

It would be nice at the least to get the visc # at 40C but not many labs give us that either.
21.gif

IMO I think Valvoline has watered down their additives in Synpower.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Thanks for sharing. May I ask what the date on the bottle is?

IIRC, Synpower had more additives until I saw these more recent VOA/UOA.

There does not appear to be a date on the bottle. Unless this is the date?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bkbenjy

There does not appear to be a date on the bottle. Unless this is the date? [image removed]

Some Synpower jugs have the date code in the UPC symbol area. How to interpret the code is anyone's guess.

It's above the UPC, it should be a 5 character value. I have a jug of maxlife synthetic that says K198H, and it breaks down to November 19th, 2008. "K" being the 11th letter of the alphabet, so 11th month of the year. The "H" is irrelevant and just there for some reason idk.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crinkles
how can blackstone make any comment on the cold viscosity properties of the oil if they did not do MRV or CCS tests?? "5w-30 to 10w-30 range" cannot be concluded form the data, only that it is a 30 weight. yes they can conclude that it is 5w based on the knowledge of the sample but based on the limited data they can't test for it. bad science.

I have seen this done before many times, its funny you are just now noticing.

Valvoline does not advocate extended drains AT ALL - so all they are 'building' an oil to do is survive either a fixed manufacturer interval; or an OLM interval. An 8.5 TBN will do that comfortably.....

So would this oil be safe for say 4k / 4 months in a short trip engine? My friend is dead set on this oil and i want to make sure she doesn't go overboard since its shown to have a lower tbn.

Yeah that's kinda what i was thinking.. I actually thought of switching from PP to synpower myself but changed my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back