Castrol Syntec 5w-40 European but blended in US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at AAP and noticed the Castrol Syntec 5W-40 bottle was different than the other grades. It said smething about meeting Volvo, BMW, Mercedes and some other specs on the front. I think it went on to say made to meet European requirements or something.

On the back, I looked where they normally put the "Made in ___ " line on the bottom right, above the white patch and instead on there is again listed the European car specs.

However, in another place, it did say that it was oil that was domestic and imported and blended in the US. But that it was made to meet tough European oil requirements (long drain interval?) or some such.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone's tried this? I wanted to go to a 40 weight for the summer to help on my 2.3 DISI turbo which shears oil pretty bad w/ it's fuel dilution problems, and it also helps with smoking turbo's (this is actually Mazda's solution, lol). Is this as good as German Castrol or is this the same as all the other US made Syntec? Or somewhere in between?

Last edited:
It is a ho-hum 5w40. A good oil but nothing special in the world of 40wt oils. I would run the 0w30 syntec instead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back