BMW Sludge Pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on the forum and I hope I am bringing something of interest. I'm a member of the toyota supra community and this thread was brought to my attention. I've read a lot on this forum, but have never posted.

I had a look around on BITOG, and didn't see this posted. forgive me if it has been.

Anyhow, this is NOT my car and I do not know the people involved. This thing has gone 60,000miles without any filter or oil changes. sounds like this all started with a malfunctioning vanos...and I think it's clear to see why it wasn't working!

They have removed a lot of sludge by hand, and intend to run a couple cycles of autoRX through it. I wonder if it's up to the task??

Fingers crossed oil passeges aren't plugged while cleaning..

orig thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1281659

dsc00851m.jpg

_MG_2318.jpg

_MG_2317.jpg

dsc00860rvk.jpg

dsc00858w.jpg

_MG_2319.jpg

dsc00861x.jpg

_MG_2321.jpg

dsc00862twg.jpg

_MG_2324.jpg

Last edited:
owner needs to be dropped off in the middle of antartica, naked, with no weapons, and his hands and feet tied behind his back.

oh and a sock stuffed in his mouth.

This had been posted here more than a few times but thanks for including all the pics. I feel bad for the person who gets that as certified preowned beemer.

I wonder how long the filter has been running in by-pass? sending that sludgy thick [censored] straight to the bearings, with no filtration!

Originally Posted By: lipadj46
I feel bad for the person who gets that as certified preowned beemer.

Wouldn't happen. Their CPO program would reject it right off the bat for not having a good, documented maintenance history...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Wouldn't happen. Their CPO program would reject it right off the bat for not having a good, documented maintenance history...

I know because dealerships are known to be even more honest then politicians and lawyers.

I'd love to hear his B.S. excuse for being able to afford a bimmer but not being able to afford to maintain it.

Clearly he has more $$$ than common sense.

It constantly amazes me that all the cars that break down around my house, or that I see on my way to work on the side of the highway are always expensive. BMW, Mercedes, Acura, you never see that 1978 Ford F150 break down, always the jerks who throw money at problems and expect that to fix everything.

Yup, all of the maintenance history on BMWs is stored on the keyfob.

BMW's CPO program requires a complete printout of the maintenance history and the vehicle cannot have any missed oil services, vehicle checks, microfilter replacements or brake fluid flushes.

This is the BMW CPO checklist, it is very thorough:

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/shopping/cpo/images/bmw-inspection.pdf

Even the tires must be BMW approved. BMW has very strict standards for their CPO program.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Nice design of the timing chains

Really? Coming from mainly MB diesels, single row chains just do not fly. We are looking for low stretch and long life well beyond 250k. MB made the mistake with a single row chain on the 380SL years back.

Im suprised to see that, as the chain on my 91 BMW (M42 engine) is more robust:
3435240621_902f164bf9.jpg

This is an oil forum. All we talk about is oil and the issues surrounding it, such as sludge.
How can people think we haven't seen this yet?

Last edited:

I know because dealerships are known to be even more honest then politicians and lawyers.

I can't speak for BMW certification, but the two Honda dealers I worked for would certify anything. IIRC a few $$$ changes hands between departments. and its certified, washed, waxed and on the line. Honestly it was a joke, maybe the certification program has changed now.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I can't speak for BMW certification, but the two Honda dealers I worked for would certify anything. IIRC a few $$$ changes hands between departments. and its certified, washed, waxed and on the line. Honestly it was a joke, maybe the certification program has changed now.

What's the mileage cut-off for BMW CPO anyway? Maintenance might be irrelevant with 60,000+ miles on it.

Originally Posted By: 98dakarM3
This is an oil forum. All we talk about is oil and the issues surrounding it, such as sludge.
How can people think we haven't seen this yet?

Well sir, this is the first time I've seen it and I've been here since 2002. If it's posted here before it got by me and I do not visit BMW boards.

Originally Posted By: defektes
owner needs to be dropped off in the middle of antartica, naked, with no weapons, and his hands and feet tied behind his back.

oh and a sock stuffed in his mouth.

Your being to kind.

Just run some PP in it on a 3000 mile change interval and it'll be just fine!!!!

Got to be that high dollar Castrol messing everything up.
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back