Some Filtration Comparisons from the Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
Okay, I'll ship all 10 for curiosity's sake. I wonder if the 14610 and 14459 of the respective Purolators will show identical results, or slightly different results.

Cool.
thumbsup2.gif

I will look forward to the Fram XG, too. The Only current Fram I actually like.
On the Puros, there would have to be a fairly significant differene in rating to visually show any difference in this test, I think. Although I can pretty easily tell a 97.5% Purolator from a 99.9% PureOne, and a 94% Supertech from filters in the 98% efficiency area.

No rush. Hopefully loading 10 filters on you won't be too overwhelming.
55.gif
I'm sure it will be helpful to other fellow Honda/Nissan/etc. owners though!

Nah. It'll be fine. Just the last three weeks of the semester and all the projects are coming due at once, finals, etc. We'll gitter done.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Nah. It'll be fine. Just the last three weeks of the semester and all the projects are coming due at once, finals, etc. We'll gitter done.

I feel your pain. My finals are on the week of the 14th and it'll probably be pretty hectic for me up until then.

river_rat ... I know you've tested a ton of filters already, but I was thinking it would be very interesting to test the Motorcraft FL-820s to see how it compares. You've seen the efficiency specs that say it's only 80% @ 20 microns. I just wonder if the Tygon tubing would be stacked high with talc powder with an efficiency like that.

Wow, what a thread. 16 pages, and now my eyes hurt!

Very interesting stuff. Excellent job RR. I would never have made it as far!
grin2.gif

Wish we could find P1's here in Canada. I've only ever found the re badged classics in Quaker State form at Canadian Tire.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Wow, what a thread. 16 pages, and now my eyes hurt!

Very interesting stuff. Excellent job RR. I would never have made it as far!
grin2.gif

Wish we could find P1's here in Canada. I've only ever found the re badged classics in Quaker State form at Canadian Tire.

Benson Auto Parts can get them.

I feel your pain. My finals are on the week of the 14th and it'll probably be pretty hectic for me up until then.

Then you know the drill
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
river_rat ... I just wonder if the Tygon tubing would be stacked high with talc powder with an efficiency like that.
If that's really the efficiency, I guarantee it would.
There is a Motorcraft FL-1A waiting results right now. Close enough?
Can you get K&N or Mobil 1 filters? They are a good choice too.
Or do like me, find what you like, and order a year's supply online. In that case, I'd maybe recommend an Amsoil EaO.

Only the K&N's at Canadian Tire, but they want $16/filter
shocked2.gif

M1 are nowhere to be found, along with RP, bosch, and many of the other brands you've tested.

I wonder what Benson AP would charge for a PureOne? I'll have to call them tomorrow. Auto Parts Stores up here typically charge top dollar for filters. The classics can be had in Quaker State clothes for $6.99 which is reasonable I suppose.

Amsoil's EaO is an option, but they'll cost more than the K&N after shipping, preferred customer charge, etc.

I have several Tokyo Roki (black) OEM filters left, so I'm good for a while. I wonder how they would stack up to the competition. Hopefully better than the Denso
grin2.gif

Then you know the drill
grin2.gif

For the record, I graduated from University 1.5 years ago, at the young age of 35!! I went to school for 10 years part time while working full time. But after all the years/effort/sweat/stress I have a BCompSci on the wall to smile at daily to make it all worth while!! So I can definitely relate. Good luck, and study your brains out!
grin2.gif

shocked2.gif

M1 are nowhere to be found, along with RP, bosch, and many of the other brands you've tested.

I wonder what Benson AP would charge for a PureOne? I'll have to call them tomorrow. Auto Parts Stores up here typically charge top dollar for filters. The classics can be had in Quaker State clothes for $6.99 which is reasonable I suppose.

Amsoil's EaO is an option, but they'll cost more than the K&N after shipping, preferred customer charge, etc.

I have several Tokyo Roki (black) OEM filters left, so I'm good for a while. I wonder how they would stack up to the competition. Hopefully better than the Denso
grin2.gif

What's your part #?

Quite remarkeable. Glad I've been runnin' the M1. Not so hesitant to try a Pure one,now. Thanks again.

shocked2.gif

They are $14 here, but I still think they're worth it.

grin2.gif

I don't know anything about those, but if you chop out a square of media and get a cheap pocket microscope and a dial caliper, you can really get a good look, factor in thickness (thicker is better for the same coursness), and make a good educated guess without getting all oily.

Congrats on your degree!

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Quite remarkeable. Glad I've been runnin' the M1. Not so hesitant to try a Pure one,now. Thanks again.
thumbsup2.gif
Both good choices.

river_rat ... I just wonder if the Tygon tubing would be stacked high with talc powder with an efficiency like that.
If that's really the efficiency, I guarantee it would.
There is a Motorcraft FL-1A waiting results right now. Close enough?

Not sure ... I guess if it had the same media (who knows?) it would be a good candidate. I'm just curious how a 80% @ 20um stacks up to a 99.9% @ 20um by seeing the visual difference in crud collected in the "test tubes".

Fill times (average of three): Donaldson, 6.8 seconds
Motorcraft, 6.0 seconds
PureOne, 7.3 seconds
Here’s my flow tester setup:
VacuumCanFlow.jpg

Looks like the Donny is roughly the same, filtration-wise, as the PureOne. The Motorcraft FL-1A is less but looks pretty decent, too.
Best representative photo three tests run for each filter,
Left to Right, Donaldson, Motorcraft, PureOne:
2LtoRDonMCP1.jpg

I'm just curious how a 80% @ 20um stacks up to a 99.9% @ 20um by seeing the visual difference in crud collected in the "test tubes".

You can see the difference between the pretty good ecore and M1, K&N, (photos earlier) I'm sure it would be a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back