Some Filtration Comparisons from the Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
So when are you doing the Donaldson?
grin2.gif

Ha!...I just looked at my where I was gonna write something and I left it blank after the quote. Jeeez.

If I can bring myself to cut that thing open I'd like to start tomorrow. (between going to the store for my mom-in-law and writing a two page report for a class)
Maybe tomorrow or Monday.

Boy howdy. It looks expensive.
I suppose I should get a large, new off-the-shelf filter to compare against.
PureONE standard again? What's your pleasure?

Sure, PureONE works. Maybe a Ford FL-1A if you want to do a 3-way comparo?

The Donaldson is also HEAVY as I'm sure you noticed!

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Sure, PureONE works. Maybe a Ford FL-1A if you want to do a 3-way comparo?

The Donaldson is also HEAVY as I'm sure you noticed!

Will do.

Ya -heavy- it's a beast.

I got them cut open last night, The Donaldson, PureOne PL30001, and Motorcraft FL-1A--all new and unabused.
Got a few good pics and measurements of the innards before the Sony digital went into uncontrolled vibration mode again.
The camera literally shakes and rattles and won't focus.

That's an extended warranty/recall problem caused by the autofocus hunting at high speed. We have to send it in to get it fixed. I'm hoping to get this series of tests done and photographed before we have to mail it off, because our super cheapy digital will not take close-ups. Like nothing less than 5-6 feet = totally useless for this kind of work.

Approximate medias are as follows:

Donaldson = 207 sq in surface area, 8.3 cu in total, .040 in thick. Fine texture, white, appears full synthethic and has a screen backing.

Motorcraft = 242 sq in surface area, 6.5 cu in total, .027 in thick.
Relatively course texture celluose or cellulose/synthetic blend by appearance.

PureOne = 310 sq in surface area, 7.1 cu in total, .023 in thick.
Fine texture cellulose/synthetic blend by appearance.

Notes:
1. The Donaldson has what looks like a Purolator style bypass valve.

2. I didn't measure canister thicknesses as they all seemed about the same.

3. Only the Motorcraft had the bypass on the threaded end. The others were on the dome end.

1-DonMCP1.jpg

2-P1DonMC.jpg

3-P1DonMC.jpg

4-P1DonMC.jpg

Donaldson 169071
5-Donaldson.jpg

Motorcraft FL-1A
6-Motorcraft.jpg

PureOne PL 30001
7-PureOne.jpg

I picked up an STP 3950 and an L 10193 over the weekend and packed them up to ship to you. It is a little hard to tell from the outside, but the L 10193 may have a slightly longer filter element in it than the last 3 I cut open. It is still at least 1/4'' shorter than the STP. A 1/4'' would be 20% more compared to the 1 1/4'' long element hidden in the 3'' can. I measure glue line to glue line the best I can.

Originally Posted By: labman
I measure glue line to glue line the best I can.

That's close enough. That's how I do it.

Thanks for getting that. I only checked one WalMart but the others are a long ways away.
"My" Walmart mostly has Fram and only the most common STs.

Ahh, at last it looks like we may have an authoritative answer to the incessant whining regarding the one purported empty can Classic application. Though, it does appear a hedge to that constant allegation has now been made.
31.gif

Without xray vision, I don't know how anyone,(excluding Superman) without dissection, could tell if there was now more, rather than alledgedly less media.

Regardless of the result, the other Classic(s) cut open and river rat's results show the Classic to be a solid quality filter for the money.

Heehee You guys.

Me? I don't even care how much media I get, I care about flow and filtration--the end result of the type and quantity.

With thinner oils and better media design, filters are generally smaller than they used to be, and the engines keep lasting longer and longer.
I just want to compare the above end results as best I can so I know which ones I want to buy.

I prefer Puros, but will use STs or similar, and usually end up buying more expensive premium filters anyway...I'm cheap that way.

Great awesome thread, Can you research and tell me all you can find out about the Fleetguard LF9028, this is going on a 2005 dodge diesel. It is a filter with 2 filters inside on the can, the top half is a regular filter, the bottom half is a full bypass filter to get the bypass system in a screw on filter. It has to be good or Cummins wouldnt back it, only thing is I have been told it is not approved for the Dodge engine, HMMMM unless it is a warranty issue, I can't figure out why. This would be my filter of choice if it would work.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: river_rat

Me? I don't even care how much media I get, I care about flow and filtration--the end result of the type and quantity.

With thinner oils and better media design, filters are generally smaller than they used to be, and the engines keep lasting longer and longer.
I just want to compare the above end results as best I can so I know which ones I want to buy.

I prefer Puros, but will use STs or similar, and usually end up buying more expensive premium filters anyway...I'm cheap that way.
Same here, media length is a secondary factor. But, as you're latest Classic dissection showed, and you stated, it would difficult to cram any more media in that can. And, it was very comparable to the two other filters in the comparo. And, that's the only results that matter.

Just looking for that infamous single app empty can. It's like Where's Waldo
51euryx5C2L._SL75_SS50_.jpg
:)

And, I've also used ST Ecore and no ecore apps with no issues. But, I don't have an agenda regarding Purolator ownership.

I don't see Waldo.............oh there he is!
grin2.gif

I appreciate lab's position in that I assume he's afraid he's getting ripped off and a lot of product are getting junkier, but filters, overall, are getting better.

Originally Posted By: Gator
Can you research and tell me all you can find out about the Fleetguard LF9028

Sorry, I think I'm just as lazy as you on this one.
cheers3.gif

I asked about the fleetguard LF9028 because you guys are testing and checking filters here, supposedly you no more than me, so I added this filter to be checked. I am not being lazy I have checked into this filter but only as to what is printed on paper, it will fit, it is a bypass type filter other than that I don't no. I was told this afternoon by a e mail from cummins filteration website that it would work. Now I ask you guys to check this filter out, and I am called lazy HMMm thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back