Some Filtration Comparisons from the Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the Donaldson offers as good filtration as the P1, but with less restriction? At least that's what I'm interpreting from what you've posted.

That's excellent! Given the price I pay for them VS a PureONE up here.

It is also nice to see how much better it does than the Motorcraft filter.

Though for all the huff about the Motorcraft efficiency rating, it looks like it does better than the WIX and numerous other filters you've tested.

Honestly, I expected it to do a bit better than the PureONE but hey, those are just my expectations
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
So, the Donaldson offers as good filtration as the P1, but with less restriction? At least that's what I'm interpreting from what you've posted...

Seems to be correct. This Donalson center tube filled a bit slower by gravity only with cold oil than the others,
but since the center tubes are different sizes I decided not to calculate that, but to run my "hot-oil-under-
pressure simulation" where it indicated slightly lower in restriction than the PureOne.

This is the first time I've seen a filter switch rankings between the two flow tests--but I am not able to precisely time this second, flow under pressure test, so I figure + or - 20% could be an equal result.
(I'm watching a second hand while trying to release a clamp or hose pinch, and hoping the tubing to the bottle
didn't drain out, etc. It's difficult.)

Bottom line though, I'm satisfied it is close enough to the P1 that flow shouldn't be a concern. Three tests showed a lower average time.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Honestly, I expected it to do a bit better than the PureONE but hey, those are just my expectations
wink.gif

Hard to beat PureOne's 99.9% @ 20 microns. Don't feel bad...That's excellent.
Do you know what/if Donaldson rates this filter % or beta?
And the Motorcraft, too...do we have a current SAE rating for the FL-1A?

More pics--I'm having camera trouble, so sorry the first, easiest to interpret pic from test run was kind of blurry.

1st tests usually show cleaner than successive test like this, because the media is saturated with clean oil that
has to be displaced with dirty oil. The clean oil in the media dilutes the filtrate and makes it cleaner.

First test: L to R; Donaldson, Motorcraft, PureOne
1LtoRDonMCP1.jpg

Third test: (note L to R order change): Motorcraft, Donaldson, PureOne
Since these are not as sideways as the other, you have to look cloesly to see all the grit that is sloped up to the back--away from the camera lens. Still, the rankings are the same in my book.
3LtoRMCDonP1.jpg

I am satisfied with the results for sure.

Rating is:

85% at 10 microns at 150lpm
89% at 10 microns at 105lpm

Well Purolator claims 98% at 10 microns for the PureOne--and that may be optimistic since we don't have the flow rate or anything they tested at.
I think these Donaldsons and PureOnes are in the same club.
Very good filter. Thanks again for sending it!

Originally Posted By: river_rat
Well Purolator claims 98% at 10 microns for the PureOne ...

Was that the spec given by Purolator in one of the email correspondence with them ... I don't recall.

Well Purolator claims 98% at 10 microns for the PureOne--and that may be optimistic since we don't have the flow rate or anything they tested at.
I think these Donaldsons and PureOnes are in the same club.
Very good filter. Thanks again for sending it!

And no given flow rate right?

And you are very welcome. I'm glad to see it did as well as it did.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Well Purolator claims 98% at 10 microns for the PureOne ...

Was that the spec given by Purolator in one of the email correspondence with them ... I don't recall.

Yes it was from the email posted here...I looked it up earlier today, but no flow rate was given for that figure for the PureOne.

I'm just curious how a 80% @ 20um stacks up to a 99.9% @ 20um by seeing the visual difference in crud collected in the "test tubes".

You can see the difference between the pretty good ecore and M1, K&N, (photos earlier) I'm sure it would be a big difference.
Have you tested an Ecore yet, or did I just miss it?

The Motorcraft, while not as good in comparison to the P1 and Donaldson, didn't look too bad, IMO. I suspect the FL 1A is similar in filtration/flow to the 820-S. Interested because the latter is all my son has been using, installed from dealer with 5k OCI.

Yes, ecore--it's earlier in here (should be). I'd link it but I gotta run to a meeting.

Oh good.
The relative filtration was about what I would expect. Lower than Puro Classic, but pretty good. Not a bad filter for the money. They are SAE 94% multipass efficient at 20 microns, according to their pdf file online.

I'm thinking come spring when it's warm enough to work outside, setting up some sort of AIR filter comparison.

Would anybody like to see that?

I would definitely be in for it. I'm still not fully sure as to what filters are working best in terms of air. Your work with oil filters has been amazing! I'm actually ordering in a Bosch Premium filter for my vehicle.

I think it would be interesting to test one of the PureONEs listed in the post below PL14610 or PL14612) to see if it indeed comes in worse - and how much worse - than a PureONE rated at 20 microns (which you've already tested).

It would be interesting to see if it's a media thing or a test standard/ size thing that causes the different efficiency rating. If the media is exactly the same, I would suspect these to come in the same as the other PureONEs tested by your procedures where the oil is slowly forced through the media.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...993#Post1697993

I would suspect these to come in the same as the other PureONEs tested by your procedures where the oil is slowly forced through the media.
Exactly. These runs show a relationship between media response to dirty fluid only, because they are all tested the same. That's the theory anyway...pretty much a media inspection for permeability that is better than just looking at it through a lens.

Originally Posted By: Craddosk
I would definitely be in for it. I'm still not fully sure as to what filters are working best in terms of air. Your work with oil filters has been amazing! I'm actually ordering in a Bosch Premium filter for my vehicle.

Thanks! I/m not sure how I'll do it yet...and I'll probably face a learning curve like I have on the oil filters, but I'd like to give it a try.
I think it will involve big boxes, duct tape, a shop vac, and clouds of dust.
I better wait until spring and do it outside!
grin2.gif

I would suspect these to come in the same as the other PureONEs tested by your procedures where the oil is slowly forced through the media.
Exactly. These runs show a relationship between media response to dirty fluid only, because they are all tested the same. That's the theory anyway...pretty much a media inspection for permeability that is better than just looking at it through a lens.

Did you ever test one of these? ... I don't recall.

PL14476
PL14477
PL14610
PL14612

If the media is different in these, you should be able to see if that's the case with your test methods.

Did you ever test one of these? ... I don't recall.

PL14476
PL14477
PL14610
PL14612

If the media is different in these, you should be able to see if that's the case with your test methods.

No I haven't--and it should show a difference for sure if they are that different of a media and not just variation in the test methods the factory uses.

Thanks! I/m not sure how I'll do it yet...and I'll probably face a learning curve like I have on the oil filters, but I'd like to give it a try.
I think it will involve big boxes, duct tape, a shop vac, and clouds of dust.
I better wait until spring and do it outside!
grin2.gif

Sounds interesting! Though, wouldn't the cloud of dust require "somewhat" consistent dispersal of the dust, and a set amount of dust? Maybe a set amount of dust on the filter, being pulled through by the vaccuum and gravity, if the dust cloud can be emulated. Can't wait to see it!

I think it would be interesting to test one of the PureONEs listed in the post below PL14610 or PL14612) to see if it indeed comes in worse - and how much worse - than a PureONE rated at 20 microns (which you've already tested).

It would be interesting to see if it's a media thing or a test standard/ size thing that causes the different efficiency rating. If the media is exactly the same, I would suspect these to come in the same as the other PureONEs tested by your procedures where the oil is slowly forced through the media.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...993#Post1697993

I supplied him with a PL14610 and a PL14459 so maybe you'll get to see your wish come true :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back