OC fiasco. Shop overfilled sump. Opinions sought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, a lot of shops overfill a bit because most people who get their car serviced by quick lube places are the same people who will never pop their hood again, until the next OCI. Given that a good amount of cars on the road consume oil, that actually might increase the margin of user error. How many times have you checked ol' Mom's oil level and found nothing on the stick?

Also, there must be at least a quart tolerance between MAX on the dipstick and oil levels actually high enough to get whipped up by the crank. Not to mention, on a running engine at mid RPMs much of that oil is elsewhere in the engine. So, yeah, people already said it. You're better off worrying about what you'd like for dinner instead.

The coupon was just a $5.00 off with no strings. Had it said bulk oil only I would gladly have paid the difference to get 5w20.

Close as I can can figure it was an extra 1/2 qt, about 4.2 qts, but on that stick that's twice as high as the low point to high point. I've never put that much in, so it looked very high. Good point though about overfill since many people don't check. Though, Ive tried to teach my daughter how to check oil level on dipstick, and keep an extra qt. of oil in the trunk.

Thanks all for the input, my conversation with the owner will be much more civil than it might have been Saturday.

As for the struts, the car's ride is not as tight as new, but no wheel hop.

buddy of mine has a civic, when i change his oil i always overfill it by about a half a quart. i have owned one in the past also. civics burn oil, they did you a good service by doing that :)

Last edited:
any of them, once they get above about 180,000mi.

-edit- im not talking about a LOT of oil, maybe 1qt every 4000 miles.

Last edited:
Just got off the phone with the owner. He said they had a bulletin from American Honda stating that 10w30 should be used in that climate(south GA).
smirk2.gif
I said I'd like to see that bulletin, gave him my email. Said he would email it to me tonight. Don't know how he'll do that but it really doesn't matter.

I told him I was looking at the page in the owners manual, which says 5w20 for all ambient temps and shows chart. 5w30 can be used (not on chart) but should be replaced at next oil change, no mention of 10w30. After some talk he offered to change it to 5w20.

Earlier (owner not in yet), I had spoken to an employee and he said they use a bulk 10w30. But, when I said that to the owner, he said they also have 5w20 in bulk, but that bulletin called for 10w30. As for the overfill, he said there was no excuse for that.
21.gif

So, I'll just leave the 10w30 in for this OCI and no harm has been done. Don't think I was a jerk about it. Chalk it up to experience. Thanks again for all the input.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Heck, if I owned a car that only carried a paltry 3.7 quarts, I'd DELIBERATELY run it a bit over! No harm done.

My old Sentra GXE only carried 2.9 quarts
banana2.gif
..it was AWESOME. I was able to test so many different oils (expensive ones) for cheap!! and the oil was used up pretty fast so I could change the oil more often without feeling guilty of wasting prescious oil :) I enjoy doing my oil changes.. so I loved the small crankcase.

I've heard 1/2 quart overfill is OK (16 oz), but not a full quart. I'm not sure how true that is, but it makes sense that most manufacturers would allow a reasonable margin of error.

Auto-Rx says their 12 oz overfill is OK for every vehicle in existence, and their liability is huge if they're wrong. You can bet your life savings they've researched this issue.

The only possible source of damage would be the result of the crankshaft counterweights running through the oil in the sump, aerating it, possibly leading to poor lubrication of the entire engine.
Very unlikely.
Bear in mind that when the engine is running, a large proportion of the oil is out of the pan and in the engine, which is one of the reasons you can't get a good stick reading when an engine is running.
I don't think you have anything to be concerned about, and you could probably have simply left the oil fill alone.

Funny how a thread can get ressurected. I know how this one did with another poster linking to it today. As I told him, he's better with the search feature than I.

Anyway, after draining ~12oz I left that 10w30 in ~5k. Biggest shock was not ever seeing the oil that high before, about twice as the safe low to high.

Didn't give the station that bad a comments on Google, 3 stars. Told folks to know their cars specs, and be able to communicate them.

Oh, never did get that email from the owner with the notice/tsb from Honda saying 10w30 was spec'd for that area. Truthfully wasn't expecting it.
wink.gif

I doubt any harm was done but it shouldnt hurt to document the occurance with a complaint.

Last edited:
This was a thread from six months ago!
Silly me, I guess I should learn to pay better attention to dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back