Honda Power Steering Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here know what the deal is with Honda having a proprietary fluid? I have run both Royal Purple and Redline PS fluid in more than one Honda vehicle with no issues (complete flush and fill). Does the Honda fluid have a special chemistry or viscosity?

Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett
Does anyone here know what the deal is with Honda having a proprietary fluid? I have run both Royal Purple and Redline PS fluid in more than one Honda vehicle with no issues (complete flush and fill). Does the Honda fluid have a special chemistry or viscosity?

It's a highly friction modified oil, similar to some of the current ATFs.

Honda has never licensed it, but several aftermarket companies sell "compatible" fluids, and Lubegard (the folks who make the transmission additive) markets a Power Steering additive that supposedly makes "ordinary" fluid compatible with Honda's.

Go to Amsoil's website and see what they spec as being OK to use. Even if you choose to use another brand name their website is a great resource. I personally use Amsoil's PSF and it works very well. I have noticed the steering is very fluid in its motion in the brutal cold winter here, unlike the Factory Fill.

cheers3.gif
http://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa.dll?amsoiloaf:index

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Go to Amsoil's website and see what they spec as being OK to use. Even if you choose to use another brand name their website is a great resource. I personally use Amsoil's PSF and it works very well. I have noticed the steering is very fluid in its motion in the brutal cold winter here, unlike the Factory Fill.

cheers3.gif
http://www.amsoil.com/scripts/runisa.dll?amsoiloaf:index

StevieC you should really look into becoming a dealer for Amsoil, might as well make something for all the promotion you do.

I have heard Honda PSF is a "higher" quality power steering fluid.

They make a great product I'm happy with, why shouldn't I share it with everyone and hope to bring that happiness to them?

If I was a dealer then I would get shot down because then I would be "bought", but maybe you're right, I'm being shot down anyways so I might as well make money at it.

smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
They make a great product I'm happy with, why shouldn't I share it with everyone and hope to bring that happiness to them?

If I was a dealer then I would get shot down because then I would be "bought", but maybe you're right, I'm being shot down anyways so I might as well make money at it.

smirk2.gif

I never said you shouldn't share but why not try to share a product you are happy with and make money doing it. You might get shot down on here and you might not. Maybe up in the area you live you can enlighten people on the good experiences you have had with it and how it will help in the cold weather and make a little extra money for yourself, maybe enough to cover your cost of Amsoil.

Honda'a historically HAVE to use their own PS fluid.
Maybe the very recent ones do not, but in general, don't take a chance with non approved PS fluid in a Honda.
It used to be that wear would occur in the rack, and the seals would leak internally [wear the aluminum where they seat] and
there would be problems [$$].

Honda PSF is thicker than the regular PSF and has additional additives like Zn, P, and Ca. Molakule also mentioned that other than the visc and additives, it is nothing special. Putting typical PSF in Honda increase the chances of leakage due to the viscosity.

Still haven't gotten an answer from Amsoil on how they can use a universal PSF for Honda when the viscosity is clearly different, and their fans/dealers/distributors still recommend it.

NAPA makes a PSF that claims that it is Honda compatible. What is funny is that it also says it is suited for GM, Ford, and Chrysler.

Firestone stores also have such a fluid that is sold by the gallon.

Stick with the Honda fluid it is not that expensive.

I tried Bardahl's Honda compatible fluid and found my steering to be very stiff in cold weather.

I put the bottles outside at -30C and OEM honda fluid was very different with a much lower pour point. The Bardahl would not pour at all.

I've been using RedLine psf for a couple years now in my Acura and just recently did a d&f with Amsoil psf. No problems.

Originally Posted By: mva
Stick with the Honda fluid it is not that expensive.

I tried Bardahl's Honda compatible fluid and found my steering to be very stiff in cold weather.

I put the bottles outside at -30C and OEM honda fluid was very different with a much lower pour point. The Bardahl would not pour at all.

The Redline fluid has a -50c pour point, so that is not a concern, especially in my climate. It's not an issue of price, more of a quality/availibility issue. The dealers charge $5.49 per 12oz bottle here, so that's ~$17 a quart. The aftermarket stuff that I can find is usually in a cheap looking bottle from a company I don't generally use for maintaining my vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett
The dealers charge $5.49 per 12oz bottle here, so that's ~$17 a quart.

I just did a drain with turning left and right lock to lock 8 times as described, then turn off the engine and refill. It only used 2 exact bottle (24oz total). I'm not sure how mcuh you can completely drain out of the entire PS system without taking the whole thing apart. Since the whole system is spec as 1.4 L (let's say 48 oz or so), changing half of it in one shot isn't too bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back