one more time on motorcraft filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
who makes the motorcraft oil filters ? I have read it is a purolator pure one. but purolator uses the 8 medium hole endcaps, and the motorcrafts are 6 oval slots so what gives? any definitive info ?

They're made by Purolator and sensibly meet 100% of Ford's OEM spec's for replacement filters. They may not be the OEM supplier for the assembly line filters ..and the assembly line filters will (probably) be of different construction/material than the OEM approved after market replacement.

Purolator manufactured Motor Craft filters differ from PureOne filters in a few ways. The ADBV may or may not be silicon in the MC filter. The bypass valve will always be in the open end on a MC filter and will (iirc) always be on the dome end on a PureOne. PureOne filters have a bypass valve rating range that's "generic" (12-16) on most of their filters. MC will have whatever the OEM Ford spec dictated. PureOne (probably) has a higher level of filtration (finer) than MC filters, but that would depend on the OEM spec (YMMV - just like with WIX who also appears to be a "custom" fit with many applications).

Do not hesitate to use the Motorcraft Oil Filters, the are of high quality construction, Gary Allans information is very accurate, I worked at a Quick Lube and performed several first oil changes on Fords and the oil filters were always painted gray with no print on them and they seemed to be a heavier filter, I always wanted to take one home and cut it open but I did want my co workers to think I was a little crazy.

The OEM filters are Grey and made by Champion Labs while the Motorcraft replacement filters are Purolator.

The only one that is odd in the Motorcrat line for canister filters is the 2005 for the Zetec 4 Cylinders to help with drainback. More expensive. The 400S and 820S are silicone drainback valve equipped.

The 400 is off the same mount as a FL-1A, FL-200 which became the FL-300 as the became a bit smaller, then used for Mopar the FL-842. The FL-2005 was a modded FL-400.

The FL-910 is the same mount as the FL-820

So is the FL-910 bigger and could be used in place of the FL-820?????

Last edited:
Quote:
The FL-910 is the same mount as the FL-820

The FL910 is a 3/4-16 thread. The FL820S is the only 22x1.5M thread that I'm aware of offered by MC.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
The bypass valve will always be in the open end on a MC filter

The FL910 I looked at had a closed end bypass and a black ADBV. Everything else from Motorcraft I've looked at has an open end bypass.

There can surely be an exception. The insistence on the open end bypass is allegedly from Ford engine division. They cite material dropping out in the filter and settling. The notion is that upon start up (or whenever) the bypass may open and the accumulated debris can get swept into the engine. I've only heard of this accumulation once ..and only seen it once.

Actually, the oil filter business is just like all other branded manufacturing ( people W/O factories). Several manufacturers are making the filters at the same time with those meeting the pricing requirement receiving the bid for the respective P/N. WIX does participate in this endeavor as well.

Where can I find what Motorcraft filter to use for a 05 Grand Caravan with the 3.3 L engine? I like their filters and use them on my Mazda, but the book doesn't list a number for the MoPars. If possible I'd like a link so that I could cross reference for other models of cars.

i just purchase my first motorcraft FL-1A which im going to install on my 2002 dodge caravan 3.3L next month (with some fresh YB)

prior to this i used a quakerstate filter and then a stupid K&N filter (dont ask me why i purchase it, it was expensive and i was stupid)

FL 2005 obsolete? Where did you hear this? It is still recommended on the Motorcraft web site for Zetecs INCLUDING the SVT, the 400S is for the SPI's. Other mfg. spec the same

There is a difference between the rwo filters lust by looking at the insides.

Sorry for the typos...although lust and oil filters seem to fit some on this board LOL

Back to the FL-2005...when you look inside, the anti siphon/drain valve is at the threaded end, while on the 400S you can see all the way down to the closed end where the anti drain valve is located.

Wix still makes two different filters 51516 and 51315
21.gif

The difference appears to be in the bypass valve setting.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
FL 2005 obsolete? Where did you hear this? It is still recommended on the Motorcraft web site for Zetecs INCLUDING the SVT, the 400S is for the SPI's. Other mfg. spec the same

i work in a parts dept at a ford dealer doing back counter. when i put fl2005 in my computer to bill out, it shows as being replaced by the fl400s. when i go to order them from my supplier, they default to the fl400s.

If you say so......The filters are built differently and have different spec's. The FL-2005 has what Baldwin filters calls a "check valve" in the open end, while the 400S is open all the way down to the dome end.

The only thing that I can see that makes sense is the cars originally spec 'd for the FL 2005 are a few years old now... maybe Ford is just cutting down on stocking numbers?

What does not make sense is that Ford thought enough to include the check valve in the FL-2005 and specify that in certain applications...but no longer sees the need now?

In fact on the Motorcraft web site the FL 2005 is STILL called for in 2002 Zetec Focus application as do other filter companies for their versions of those appilications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back