Supertech got me thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Few nights ago I changed the oil in my youngest sons Nissan pickup. Its a 96 model with the 4 cylinder and over 200,000 miles. While he is at Parris Island I been driving it some and decided to do an Auto Rx on it. Its alway been on Delo 15-40 so I changed and start Rx. I went with Supertech 3682 filters for cost and changed them half way thru the cleaning and rinse cycle just to be on the safe side not knowing how junk would be caught in the filter. All the filters have looked ok up until the last one which the the end of the cleaning cycle. I cut it open yesterday as I do all filters and found one of the pleats torn away from the endcap at the top and bottom. The tear was just beside where the filter is bonded to the endcap. No indication of the bond or glue failing. By the stamp on the bottom it looks as though it was made in Jan. 08. Was this maybe just a fluke?

This is the same kind of thing that a memeber of this forum ("Lubeowner") who owned an oil change shop said he found fairly often with Champion products. No Champ filters for me, I only use Wix/Napa Gold and Purolator/Bosch.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
You get what you pay for?

If that were true, Wall Street would be in unbelievably good shape.

Originally Posted By: MADMIKE
This is the same kind of thing that a memeber of this forum ("Lubeowner") who owned an oil change shop said he found fairly often with Champion products. No Champ filters for me, I only use Wix/Napa Gold and Purolator/Bosch.

The filter list here says that Bosch are made by Champ labs. So are Mobil 1 and K&N filters.

Quote:
The filter list here says that Bosch are made by Champ labs. So are Mobil 1 and K&N filters

I believe Bosch is now made by purolator. I have one in my filter stash for the Silverado and it looks like a purolator pure one.

The Mobil 1 and K&N filters are made by champ but they use a different design than the E-core filters.

I chose the Supertech because of the Rx process so I really did not think twice about it because I planned on changing the filters at the half way point of both the cleaning and rinse cycle.
For regular OCI I use Nissan filters which I buy for 5 bucks and change and go for 5000 miles. I also noticed when I removed the ST filter I placed it on the filter drain and the next day the filter was drained completely. On the drain was a Nissan filter that had been sitting there for several weeks and when I cut it open it still was about half full of oil. I guess "mrsilv04" is correct in his above post.

Originally Posted By: MADMIKE

The problems encountered by Lubeowner were with the Warner line of Champ labs. A product targeted for the quick lube market. The filters had the "clicker" type bypass valve.

I took some exception with his condemning of the Warner/Champ filters. He had no index of time in service etc..etc. He did note that he never saw one have the same media breaches when it was on a GM product and speculated that it had to be the bypass function that caused the breach.

While the clicker (since abandoned for the "blue button") may indeed been the cause of the media failure, we had no scale to determine fatigue of the entire filter. For all we knew, the units that he pulled were way over due for an oil change ..to the tune of "how long"? We also had no idea of how many functional units were found compared to how many dysfunctional units. That is, for us to find 7 bad filters would be a substantial oddity. For someone drawing from thousands
21.gif

He went to a slightly more expensive filter ..and, if my intuition (guessing quotient) is correct, he probably found an incidence of failure that was paralleled to the price difference ...but still small.

I assert that with either filter, the service length would dictate the failure rate. If the Warners were used in a taxi fleet (which I'm sure that they were somewhere) I doubt that the incidence of failure would be any higher than random production variables in incidence of defects.

Originally Posted By: XS650

Nice one!!!!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: XS650

Supertech filters are quality gauranteed if they cause engine damage . Stocks have no gaurantee so if you lose you lose .Maybe not anymore.

It's often a case where the needs of the few ..outweigh the needs of the many.

The selfless many .....
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back