Wal-Mart Supertech / and Wal Mart oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have experience with the Wal-Mart synthetic (SuperTech) oil, and their filters? Wondering who is the supplier for this line of products?

Do you think the Wal Mart synthetic would be OK with a 5k OCI? I live in NC where we don't have too harsh of winters, but a lot of heat and humidity in the summer months.

thanks

Hello, you need to do a search on this. There are "mucho numeros" of information on Supertech. Just look around. Good oil but kind of weak additive package from what I have read. I use it from time to time in my truck. I still have 3 jugs of 10w-30 left to use.

Yes, there are a lot of posts regarding this oil and you will mostly find that it is a decent oil for short OCI's like 3-5k. Personally I would use a better name brand oil but to answer your question the 5k OCI would be fine for you with this oil.

Last I heard it was Warren Petroleum on the oil, Champion Labs on the filters. Search for more details on quality/add pack. There's almost always an active ecore thread in the Oil Filters forum.

SuperTech Products are absolutely comparable to name brand products you pay far more for. SM, GF4 rated. The Synthetic would be comparable to Castrol Syntech...a nice Grp lll product.It is not spec'd for GM4718m so if you are running a Corvette or CTS, look elsewhere. You are certainly good to go for 5000, much longer in all likelihood. The filters are top notch.

Originally Posted By: IntegraVT
Last I heard it was Warren Petroleum on the oil

Depends on the region...some places it has been SOPUS and some places ExxonMobil...but yeah, for a while on BITOG there was at least 1 Supertech thread a week.

Oh, and I've been using the filters on both my cars for the last three years.

Last edited:
Buy one and cut it open and you will see they are pretty decent oil filters. I notice Walmart has a few part #'s of Supertech on closeout for $1

There is a section on "Oil Filters" in this forum.

Most common ST filters appear to be ChampLabs eCore design.

Look in the outlet hole and you'll see a black plastic cage instead of metal tube.

They're a inexpensive filter but fine for most applications. I would not use them for 'extended', spend a bit more.

I've cut a couple ST2's apart after 3,000 and 4,000 mile OCI's and the end caps were still securely attached and the filter media wasn't collapsed at all.

Those E-core's are actually quite strong devices. It takes a significant amount of pressure to crush one. I believe they're nylon rather than just a standard plastic.

I used both the SuperTech synthetic oil/filters in a 1994 Nissan Maxima I used to own with 140,000miles! Never had a problem with it! All in all it's a pretty good oil & filter!

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I've cut a couple ST2's apart after 3,000 and 4,000 mile OCI's and the end caps were still securely attached and the filter media wasn't collapsed at all.

Those E-core's are actually quite strong devices. It takes a significant amount of pressure to crush one. I believe they're nylon rather than just a standard plastic.

Oh yeah, I've run them 5k in the SAAB and 7k in the CR-V. Never cut one open that didn't look like it was brand new (minus deposits).

Right now at my local W-M, I can get a 5 qt. jug of the top notch Pennzoil Platinum for $19. That's not a whole lot more than what the "who-made it?", and "how good is it really?" SuperTech oil is priced at.

Also, there are better filters out there for not a whole lot more money either. The Wix-built "ProSelect" line from NAPA is a very well designed and constructed filter, for nothing more than a little extra pocket change.

Originally Posted By: IntegraVT
Last I heard it was Warren Petroleum on the oil, Champion Labs on the filters. Search for more details on quality/add pack. There's almost always an active ecore thread in the Oil Filters forum.

Warren Performance Products. Warren Oil is the same as Warren-Unilube, something else entirely. Warren Petroleum was a third company that got folded into Gulf in the 1950's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back