New Pentosin 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just received in a new blend of Pentosin 5w-40. Sorry for the bad cell phone pictures.

Now meeting SM, MB 229.51,BMW LL-04 and VW 505.01.

2631213989_808261e3b9.jpg

2632035828_7549eb52a3.jpg

Not sure, but based on it's a 505.01 oil I believe it's Group 3 based. But I might be wrong....

I doubt it is GIII if it was under German Law it couldnot be called fully synthetic on the label. It would be called part-synthetic.

It doesn't say "fully synthetic" on the label. It says "synthetic." It would say "Fully-Synthetic" (Vollsynthetisch) according buy Pentosin labeling.

Pento High Perfomance II is NOT LISTED on the German Pentosin Web site. The only fully synthetic Pentosin oils listed are:

- Pentospeed 0W-30 VS
- Pento Super Performance III 5W-30
- Pentosynth SAE 5W-50

PENTOSIN -- oil by group

Pento High Perfomance II 5W-40 can't be found anywhere on the Web site. If this oil is made for export, they may call it whatever the import market accepts. Most likely it is a newer formulation of the old Pento High Performance 5W-40 that is not yet available in Germany. Or maybe Pentosin is slow with updating their Web site.

Pento High Performance 5W-40 is an HC (Group III) oil.

Ask for clarification here.

Now I'm getting a little confused. Here we are scrambling around old parts stores looking for GC and being of the understanding that these Group IV synthetics are the ticket. Now with this new Pentosin 5W-40 meeting all these great specs, we'd expect this oil to be a Group IV synthetic, and it's not, it's a Group III. This isn't the only oil. I bought Lubro Moly's 5W-30 that has the same exact great specs as this one and it too is not "fully synthetic." You'd think only the Group IV synthetic could keep up with the new spec requirements, but they're fading away. Why???

Originally Posted By: GermanWilliam
You'd think only the Group IV synthetic could keep up with the new spec requirements, but they're fading away. Why???

Hydrocracked oils are getting better all the time and cost less. That's why.

Is it getting close? Has hydrocracked passed up Group IV synthetics? It seems to last long now with their Long Life specs. Now it's the additives that are getting better, right? As I understand it, when the additives breakdown, the mineral based oil is quick to follow. The PAOs slowly degrade at a constant level. Are the PAO based oils going to be a thing of the passed?

Originally Posted By: GermanWilliam
Has hydrocracked passed up Group IV synthetics? It seems to last long now with their Long Life specs.

Some HC oils may match or even surpass (in exacly what regard?) fully synthetic oils. That's what's occasionally been said for several years. Does it apply to all HC oil? Probably not. I'd really let the specific approvals guide me in.

Is it the improved additive packages that glamorize this inferior base oil? Or is it the process that transforms mineral oil into a miracle base? If so could we add these wonderful new additives to a wonderful base like PAO and get the best of both worlds? Or would these additive just not work with a PAO base? I hope these questions aren't getting ridiculous?

Base oils like Shell's XHVI and the better of Mobil, Petro-Canada and Chevron's group III offer performance in a similar class to PAO except for extreme (-45 and lower) cold performance with the added benefit of polarity and additive solubility. A good PAO based oil requires esters for polarity and solubility, and in many cases alkylated napthalenes which greatly improve solubility.

Group III like Shell XHVI offers viscosity index, purity (it's hydrocracked from slack wax which is a byproduct of hydrocracking the wax molecules out of lower group oils, so they can make more uniform, pure molecules), oxidative stability and cold performance similar to PAO with the benefit of additive solubility and polarity the PAO lacks without being mixed with more expensive bases.

It's improvements in the technology used to hydrocrack, purify and refine the hydrocarbon based oils combined with new sources of hydrocarbons to do the process on.

Well first many do not scramble for GC since it has not been GC for a long long long time! Second GC is not a GIV oil it is a mix of several group base stock's. From what I remember reading the only thing exotic about it was the VII's used. So I would not work myself up looking for GC.

GIII can come close to PAO but the closer to PAO they get interms of charterisitics the less like dino they becomes. In fact a really good G-III will have about the same level of solvency as PAO and about the same polarity. This means that the additive package still has to be contained in either "AN",ESTER or some other lower group base stock. THis is why all your GIII oils are Heinze-57's interms of what is in them ie some GII some GIII a touch or PAO or Ester etc.....

Pento High Performance 5-40 = VW standard 505 00
Pento High Performance II 5-40 = VW standard 505 01 ......?
( Pumpe Düse Diesel)

I tend to a " semi-synthetic "....for both products and Group III

Hydrocracked....

Yes Mori, Pentosin are slow updating their web-site...typical Germans....*

A question : Almost all products that meets VW 505 01 used to be 5W-40 - but now they are 5W-30 - How come?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back