Looking for some "bulletproof" brake rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

"aligning molecules" or "rearranging the atoms"

Same type of language they use in the gun mags which is why I was looking for an explanation from someone really in the know.
smile.gif

Cryotempering also causes carbide precipitation which reduces in wear to cutting tools or items experiencing friction.

One of the things cryotempering was tested for is in custom bladesmithing. For the most part, if the custom blade is tempered and heat-treated properly, there was no real improvement in edge retention from cryo-tempering. The difference was most noticeable when cryo-tempering cheap knives/swords with improper heat treatment.

Although the major contributions from cryotreatment are from carbide precicpitation and martensitic conversion there seems to be other things at work that are still not fully understood. Actual examination has proven martensitic conversion occurs and so does carbide precipitation however this can only occur in carbon steels, what is puzzling is that cryo treatment has been shown to produce an effect on other metals where there is no austenite such as brass wind instruments.

Back when I was curious about cryotreatment, I actually looked up a lot of data and one was of harmonic frequency charts of brass trumpets and trombones before and after cryotreatment. There actually was difference. The graphs showed less odd jaggies after the cryotreatment. I'm not a musician or sound engineer per se so I don't know what this means, but there was a measurable difference and the musicians who paid to have cryotreatment performed on their instruments say they 'sound smoother' whatever that means (and this was before audio measurement showed the difference in the waveforms). The trombonists also claim the slides operated more smoothly.

I still have no idea how effective cryotreatment is on things other than cheap knives and swords and tools. In theory, cast iron does not have the steel properties that cryo treatment can improve, but in theory, brass doesn't either.

Max

Anyway, to resurrect this thread from the dead, the new Lexus IS-F has drilled brake rotors:

IMG_0636.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back