Mobil Delvac 1300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Buster - Thanks for the Link

The Delvac range of diesel engine lubricants have been consistent leaders in their field for at least 40years that I know of

I believe they are the "sleeper" in the Delvac line up - most people on here only know of Delvac 1 5w-40 synthetic (which has been around about 20 years)

Many years ago in the Southern Alps of NZ I had a unique opportuninty to compare a number of lubricants in heavy earth moving machinery working 24/7 and at high altitude. The engine families were confined to three - CAT, International and Allis Chalmers. Some engines were kept idling overnight due to the arctic conditions

Of all the lubricants, Delvac was the star performer. It kept engines cleaner and valve gear adjustments were required less often. As well some engines had a "regular" turbocharger failure rate. Those lubricated by Delvac had a life span (in 00's hours) much greater than the others

Customers of mine who run Delvac 15w-40 in very large Fleets of Heavy Trucks (and some carry out a regular "random" UOA programme)find it a very cost effective lubricant

This new version is a logical development of this wonderful range of diesel engine (Commercial) lubricants

Thanks again Buster

Regards
Doug

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Buster - Thanks for the Link

The Delvac range of diesel engine lubricants have been consistent leaders in their field for at least 40years that I know of

I believe they are the "sleeper" in the Delvac line up - most people on here only know of Delvac 1 5w-40 synthetic (which has been around about 20 years)

Many years ago in the Southern Alps of NZ I had a unique opportuninty to compare a number of lubricants in heavy earth moving machinery working 24/7 and at high altitude. The engine families were confined to three - CAT, International and Allis Chalmers. Some engines were kept idling overnight due to the arctic conditions

Of all the lubricants, Delvac was the star performer. It kept engines cleaner and valve gear adjustments were required less often. As well some engines had a "regular" turbocharger failure rate. Those lubricated by Delvac had a life span (in 00's hours) much greater than the others

Customers of mine who run Delvac 15w-40 in very large Fleets of Heavy Trucks (and some carry out a regular "random" UOA programme)find it a very cost effective lubricant

This new version is a logical development of this wonderful range of diesel engine (Commercial) lubricants

Thanks again Buster

Regards
Doug

"Many years ago" you mention, Doug. Delvac Lubricants have always been high on my list- but diesel oils have come a long way in recent years. How do you feel that your experience of years ago has relevance in comparison to those oils of today?

Hi,
D-Roc - I still use them!
Many of my customers still use them too - some from storage facilities holding 10 thousand litres!

I have been through each API & Manufacurer Approval shift since API "CE" version when owning heavy trucks. I used Delavc 1 5w-40 in my Intertate/City heavy trucks for almost a decade

My previous experience? Well the Delvac diesel engine oil range has always been a leader - at least as I see it and from my experience from that point in my history

But then you are already using an excellent lubricant - from an ex employer of mine Caltex-Chevron

Regards
Doug

Regards

I just posted this on another thread:

It is interesting what oil most of the heavy duty engine OEMs pick for R&D work (not the beancounter-driven "factory fill" oil for the truck assembly line):

CAT: Mobil Delvac technology
Detroit Diesel: Mobil Delvac technology
Mercedes Benz: Mobil Delvac technology
Volvo: Mobil Delvac technology
Mack: Mobil Delvac technology

In truck stops, Mobil Delvac 1300 is the #1 oil as well (overtaking Rotella - now #2 - a couple years ago).

Also, as the last page highlights, the world's 5 largest heavy duty engine builders chose Delvac technology. Food for thought.

I posted on another thread that in October, 2007 a large coal mining company I work with had 41 CAT engines whose engine oil analysis indicated iron wear levels of 10 ppm or less, using Delvac 15W40 engine oil. Quite an achievement considering some of the engines were hard working D11R's doing slot dozing 20 hours/day. Yes, there were many CAT 988's, 16G graders, etc. which are light duty operations but just as many CAT 777's and D11R's in the mix..
And the mine *does* experience corresponding exceptional engine and component life; roughly double that of CAT expected life.
Of course it is all of the components to include excellent PM, good maintenance supervision, the use of high quality CAT oil and air filters, clean lubricants going into the engines, etc.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

Given the overall awesomeness of HDEOs I cant help but wonder why more people dont use them in the personal gas powered vehicles.

Is there any particular reason why one should be wary of using HDEOs in a gas engine?

The main reason is simply viscosity. Most disel engine oils are 40W and a grade or two higher than is optimal for most automotive gasoline engines.. But, yes, excellent question in that the oils are very high performance oils.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back