Pennzoil Platinum vs Ultra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to decide between using these two. How is Ultra better than Platinum? Is it worth the extra money?

Also Honda suggests 5w-20 for my 2004 Civic. It has 80K miles. Should I stick with 5W-20 or is 0W-20 okay to use for higher MPG?

Longer oil change capability,GTL technology,more detergents,better TBN numbers.....a better oil.

For a non extended drain you won't tell any difference. Ultra shines better when pushed more miles since it's got a higher TBN combined with better base stocks which help it last longer in use.

If you're not doing at least 7,500 miles the PP is already over kill.

By Pennzoil own info, Platinum still rates pretty high across the board. They give it 4 of 5 stars, while Ultra is 5/5 and PYB is 2/5. So, yes there is marketing involved, but I believe PP is still pretty good.

I would always choose PU as I believe its just a tad batter. But I would not drive all over to find it or pay more than $27+ for a 5 QT jug.

Walmart has it but not all. Order online pick-up at store and you can figure out if they have it in stock.

For your Civic the best SOPUS oil is PP 5W-20 because it is their lightest product.

That said, your car has been back-spec'd for an OEM 0W-20 which is lighter than PP 5W-20, consequently TGMO 0W-20 would be an ideal choice if you can get it for a good price.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
For a non extended drain you won't tell any difference. Ultra shines better when pushed more miles since it's got a higher TBN combined with better base stocks which help it last longer in use.

For warranty purposes you must change Ultra according to the engine oil change requirements. If the engine calls for a 5K oil change you must abide by that.

http://www.pennzoil.com/warranty/

Originally Posted By: tig1

For warranty purposes you must change Ultra according to the engine oil change requirements. If the engine calls for a 5K oil change you must abide by that.

The OP said he has an 04 Civic w 80K - what warranty? I'd just use SuperTech 5W-20 - the engine should go 500k miles with that. Is that long enough? Certainly PP or PU is overkill, but it's only money.

Okay, where in the OP question does he ask for a suggestion other than PP or PU?

I would run the Ultra for 10k then get a UOA. Push it as long as the UOA allows.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Those warranties are a joke, they cover less than they exclude. I have yet to hear of anyone who actually received an approved claim from a oil manufactures warranty.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
For your Civic the best SOPUS oil is PP 5W-20 because it is their lightest product.

That said, your car has been back-spec'd for an OEM 0W-20 which is lighter than PP 5W-20, consequently TGMO 0W-20 would be an ideal choice if you can get it for a good price.

+1. Go with the TGMO 0w20. Once you have tried a high vi (over 200) oil with a great add pack you'll wonder why you didn't switch earlier.

They do have both PP and PU at my walmart. So I guess 5W20 is the best choice. And PP unless the price is close.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Buy whichever is cheaper / on sale / rebate, etc.
Watch this forum http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=33&page=1 for deals and stock up when a really good one shows up (ie syn for qt). The difference will be greater for your wallet than your engine.
I'd also recommend a quality filter and use it for two OCIs (as recommended by Honda).

Which filter for example? I didn't know it was recommended to do that.
I usually change oil and filter around 7K just because I use Purolator standard filters that I don't think will go longer(?).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back