MC FL-820s | 10,020 Miles | 5 Months | Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gang,

Here is an FL-820s from my FX4 that I changed this morning (UOA to follow in some days). I find that it is good condition with no issues on the media (the seam is fully glued--I checked). It trapped some insoluables and indicated in the photos and I think it could have easily held more (my engine is not really dirty).

However, I am not sure that I would recommend this filter to go much past 10K. Although the ABDV was quite pliable and soft, if you look closely at the ABDV you can see the outline of the base plate openings in the face of it. Further, I attempted to show how the markings are a bit more than superficial and they have "depth" to them (in the photo where it is bent). Although these are not cuts per se, I think they could lead to the ADBV be coming torn or punctured if ran for many more miles.

I believe that if more than 10K is desired in an application that uses the FL-820s, a Bosch D+ or Fram Ultra should be considered.

Thoughts and comments welcome!

20130418081046.jpg

20130418081126.jpg

20130418081139.jpg

20130418081152.jpg

20130418081201.jpg

20130418081221.jpg

20130418081237.jpg

20130418081256.jpg

20130418081305.jpg

20130418081350.jpg

20130418081406.jpg

20130418081528.jpg

20130418081646.jpg

20130418081544.jpg

You've been busy! Excellent post. We know your engine is in great shape from your pprevious UOA posts. 10k of the 820S! Looks pretty good. I wouldn't have had the BaXXX to try it!

Looking forward to the UOA! I assume you stayed with Mobil 5000?

This looks like a well made Oil Filter and it is priced right. I have never seen any problems with these oil filters, I have a neighbor who brings his Ford over and he uses this Oil Filter, will try and cut one open the next time we change his oil. Thanks for the pics.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BISCUT
You've been busy! Excellent post. We know your engine is in great shape from your pprevious UOA posts. 10k of the 820S! Looks pretty good. I wouldn't have had the BaXXX to try it!

Looking forward to the UOA! I assume you stayed with Mobil 5000?

Yes; MS5K out and back in again. It was dark, but not overly so (you can see it in the filter housing photo). I am interested in the UOA as well (especially the insoluables), but due to what I saw on the ABDV, I will probably cap my OCI at 10K and not push further. I have a stash of FL-820s filters to use up and I am thinking the MS5K will be close to exhausted at 10K (but you never know).
cheers3.gif

Thanks a million for your great pics and analysis of the FL820S filter. Really for 7,500 to 8,500 miles is it necessary to use a "premium" oil filter in a mostly highway driven 4.6 Ford bought new and well maintained. It appears that the FL820S will work quiet nicely for that mileage.

Whimsey

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Whimsey
Thanks a million for your great pics and analysis of the FL820S filter. Really for 7,500 to 8,500 miles is it necessary to use a "premium" oil filter in a mostly highway driven 4.6 Ford bought new and well maintained. It appears that the FL820S will work quiet nicely for that mileage.

Whimsey

Certainly, the FL-820s is good for 7500 as Ford states that as one of the OCIs for the modular engine (5K for severe duty and 7.5K for normal). My previous run was 8600 and the filter was fine, I just happened to notice the marks on the ADBV on this 10K run. I tow quite a bit and so my engine is subjected to varying operating conditions, yet even at 10K the filter was fine so I am certain that you would have no issues at 7,500-8,000 miles.

Looks good and I think all is well. Your insolubles will probably be fine.

I understand your concern about the ADBV, but we really have no idea how to judge the damage relative to time. That might have happened right away, or towards the end. As long as it didn't go all the way through, then it's OK.

I'll see your 10k mile run and up the pot by 5k miles.

I am currently at 5k miles; intend to go 10k miles and UOA (not OCI) and then if all looks good, run it all the way to 15k miles on ST dino and a MC FL400S.

I know; pure heresy.

Avert your eyes if you cannot stand the horror ...

Last edited:
Frankly, Glenn, I'm not a bit surprised. A good wearing engine with a tight air filtration system and with a good operational environment has few contamination inputs. I took look forward to a (good) UOA. Too bad you didn't have another sample to send me for a particle count.

I'm coming to the conclusion that there is so much to potentially be anal about yet so few things prove to be worthy of anality.

It looks like we are under utilizing our filters as badly as we are under utilizing our lubes! A $4 filter and 10k miles and it looks like this!
thumbsup2.gif

I'm pretty sure 15k on a Motorcraft is witchcraft though.
lol.gif

My LS400 OCI: 6-8k/6mo with dino, filter changed on second oil change. 12-15k/12mo with syn, filter change every oil change.

The car is 19 years old has more than 300k miles, average mile per year is a little more than 15k. On average, the filters had been used for a little more than 15k miles. These are filters that I used over the years: Motorcraft FL400S, Fram Extra Guard (OCOD), Pep Boys house brand Proline, Bosch Premium ... None was high end filter.

The engine has some vanish but no sludge, the oil when drain was flowing smoothly without any sign of sludge. The engine doesn't consume more than 1/2 qt per 3-4k miles as when new.

I think oil filter can/should be in service for 10-15k miles or more, as long as air filter is in good condition, no air leak so that dust/dirt are filtered efficiently.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Too bad you didn't have another sample to send me for a particle count.

I wish that I would have known you wanted one; I could have easily grabbed another--plenty of time with 7 quarts to drain
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I am currently at 5k miles; intend to go 10k miles and UOA (not OCI) and then if all looks good, run it all the way to 15k miles on ST dino and a MC FL400S.

I know; pure heresy.

Avert your eyes if you cannot stand the horror ...

ROFL @ Dave!
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Too bad you didn't have another sample to send me for a particle count.

I wish that I would have known you wanted one; I could have easily grabbed another--plenty of time with 7 quarts to drain
grin.gif

Didn't know I wanted one until I said it but with your UOA, it would have been nice companion data.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
As usual, great pics and great information.
thumbsup2.gif

Were those pics taken with your Canon?

My mobile phone - Samsung S3

thumbsup2.gif

Wow ... that's impressive for a phone.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
thumbsup2.gif

Wow ... that's impressive for a phone.

I agree.
He must be saving the Canon for the "more impressive" filter pics.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back