M1 0W-40/SL, 1250 mi., 87 Ferrari 328

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed oil at 13 months/1250 miles (yep, garage queen). Engine is a 3.2L V-8 with 11 quart oil sump. Added no top-up oil and was low one quart at time of change. Only drained 8 quarts from the sump and added 9 new quarts. To get the other 2 quarts you have to take a line off the oil cooler--not worth the trouble. The previous oil was Shell Ultra Helix 5W-40, so strictly speaking this report covers a blend of Shell and M1 oils in a more or less 2/11 and 9/11 ratio. OEM air filter and Baldwin B253 oil filter. It takes about 15 miles to warm the engine oil up to operating temperature (I don't exceed 3000 RPM until that point, about 175 deg F). My typical joy ride is about 40 miles, with the last 3 miles at high RPM as I drive up a hill with 7 bends as fast as conditions permit. Oil temperature rarely reaches 210 deg F no matter how I drive.

DATA:
Miles on oil: 1250
Miles on car: 43,300
Date of oil change: 23 MAR 06

ALUMINUM 2
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 3
COPPER 7
LEAD 0
TIN 0
MOLYBDENUM 64
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 0
BORON 141
SILICON 3
SODIUM 4
CALCIUM 2967
MAGNESIUM 15
PHOSPHORUS 793
ZINC 935
BARIUM 0

SUS VIS@210F 63.8
FLASHPOINT IN F 400
FUEL % ANTIFREEZE % 0
WATER % 0
INSOLUBLES % 0.2

BLACKSTONE COMMENTS: No problems showed up in the intial sample from your Ferrari. All wear read below averages for this type of engine, which is a very good indication of normal wearing parts and careful operation. . . . The viscosity was a little low, but no fuel dilution, moisture, or antifreeze was found that would have caused a viscosity shift, so we're not too worried about it. The cSt viscosity read 11.283. At 43,300 total miles this engine is doing well. . . .

MY COMMENTS: Holy Moly! "Viscosity shift" indeed. Even though the Shell 5W-40 is "thinner" than the M1, it's not that much thinner. I've heard that M1 0W-40 shears out of grade, but this stuff looks like a 5W-30. I put in 9 quarts of the new M1 0W-40/SM, so I'm committed to using it for another year. I guess my surprise is based on having so few miles on the oil and finding it is no longer a 40 weight. I'd welcome your observations.

This 0w-40 will shear badly in almost any high performance application, but I am surprised it sheared this quickly! I'd suggest a more shear stable, PAO based 5w-40. Of course @ 1250 miles per year, you aren't likely to wear out the engine no matter what oil you use.

TS

Shearing aside, the results look good to my rookie eyes.

I'd think you could do without worries for the next 12 months from what the report shows, and try something different when the next change-out comes.

Enjoy!

TS and CK,

Thanks for your advice. The good news is that regardless of shear, the engine clearly is getting the lubrication it needs. For my operating conditions it looks like a 30 weight would be fine--that's what the M1 sheared down to anyway. The advantage of a 30 weight would be that the start-up viscosity would be lower than a 40 weight and that the oil would come up to operating temperature a little quicker and with less engine wear. I have a while to think it all over but perhaps a good 5W-30 would be the way to go. I'd try German Castrol 0W-30 but it's not available on my island.

Cheers, Mark

I just dond't care for the 0W-40 stuff. You would be much better off with the 10W-30 and a quart or two of 15W-50. In Hawaii the 0W is just not needed.

Steve-O,

Got the mustache (needs Grecian Formula) but no Higgins. Looking for a Detroit Tigers hat.

pscholte,

Elf is available on a neighbor island but still a shipping hassle. Plus (actually minus) it's French. I'll probably end up using 'Merican Syntec or (gasp) Valvoline. Will also keep an eye on the Mobil 1 line for the latest metamorphoses.

Cheers, Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back