Amsoil SSO 0w30 - 7702miles - Subaru 2.5L WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil was run for 7702 hard miles. During this OCI, was probably the hardest I've ever run the car. It was pretty cold in NJ for the past couple months, so there were tons of cold starts and lots of HARD & short runs when the oil was not nearly up to temp. (idle for 20-30 seconds & take off).

So given those circumstances, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Thoughts?

Note:
- this vehicle has a turbo-back exhaust & runs higher boost levels (up to ~17psi)
- this UOA is on Amsoil SSO - the two previous were 5w30 ASL.
UOA3.jpg

Nice!

That verifies my SSO's TBN at 4.0 witk 8k. I run hard too and took it out at 9k. and put in ASL for the spring/summer.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Very nice, Ron. Interesting to note that the TBN with the ASL was almost spent after approx the same mileage during the previous run.

+1

Thanks guys.

Yea 7700 miles pretty much spent the ASL's additive, while it seems that I could push another 3500-4k with the SSO.

That really is fantastic wear on a turbo subaru that is driven hard for 7700 miles. I bet SSO could handle 10k without a problem given your driving style/fuel dilution.

Nice report! I'm considering a switch to SSO in my Si after two more runs of PP 5W-30 (have it on the shelf and don't want to do super extended OCIs until the warranty is up). I'm liking what I see!

very similer reports, except for the TBN. When friends that are set on using Amsoil but arent sure which one to use, I usually suggest the ASL because I know da%m well they arent going to run the SSO out long enough to use it up. I myself use the ASL because I just cant keep myself from changing the oil....I get bored on a Sunday afternoon, and what better way to blow some time other than climbing under the car and and getting some nice warm oil running down the back of my hands. If I can just get myself to run the oil longer than 5-6k miles, I would use the SSO, but I cant break the habit....yet

Anyway, great reports!!

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Well what can I say for an oil that advertises up to 35,000 miles.

Except not in turbo's or modified cars and not past 3,750 in a turbo Subaru.
01.gif

Ron- Is your Stage II a Cobb and are you running an Off The Shelf map? It's good that your fuel came down because it was lookin' scary.

19.gif

-Dennis

Last edited:
35,000 miles or 1 year Steve.....so essentially, 35,000 miles for those that spend hours a day on the highway, or 15-20k for the rest of us :)

And isn't a tuned Subaru considered "severe use"...so really, 15,000 miles?

I find the SSO did great to 14,500 in my hard-driven 06 SI....we'll see how it does for 16-17k in a couple of months.

The fuel was significantly higher with the ASL than the SSO, so that is why the Tbn is most likely lower.

SSO did a good job at keeping wear down with the fuel present, but i would be very careful extending drains with that much fuel already in the oil. This is B/S Labs too which means the fuel is probably even higher. I would continue to use this oil though if you do want to extend drains a bit further.

Originally Posted By: hooligan24
very similer reports, except for the TBN. When friends that are set on using Amsoil but arent sure which one to use, I usually suggest the ASL because I know da%m well they arent going to run the SSO out long enough to use it up. I myself use the ASL because I just cant keep myself from changing the oil....I get bored on a Sunday afternoon, and what better way to blow some time other than climbing under the car and and getting some nice warm oil running down the back of my hands. If I can just get myself to run the oil longer than 5-6k miles, I would use the SSO, but I cant break the habit....yet

Anyway, great reports!!

Geez, I thought I was the only one! I've got almost 6k on this run of ASL and I'm finding myself getting real itchy to get it out of there.

It's funny because you'll see three or four reports on ASL that held up well, and then something like this comes along and makes you wonder.

It's funny because you'll see three or four reports on ASL that held up well, and then something like this comes along and makes you wonder.

2.5% fuel.

Nice run,nice oil. Quit while you are ahead and change it out at 8k. How much do you think the top up skewed the tbn?

Originally Posted By: hooligan24

Anyway, great reports!!

Thanks! I have the same urge to change the oil all the time. I work alot & drive alot, so my mileage adds up quick.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Ron- Is your Stage II a Cobb and are you running an Off The Shelf map? It's good that your fuel came down because it was lookin' scary.

Hey Dennis - I'm still running the Cobb OTS map (for now).
I think my fuel was higher last time because I had a few hard/short runs to the firehouse right before changing my oil.
Its down to 1% this time, very happy to see an improvement.

Originally Posted By: buster
The fuel was significantly higher with the ASL than the SSO, so that is why the Tbn is most likely lower.

SSO did a good job at keeping wear down with the fuel present, but i would be very careful extending drains with that much fuel already in the oil. This is B/S Labs too which means the fuel is probably even higher. I would continue to use this oil though if you do want to extend drains a bit further.

Thanks, I dont plan on going past 8k. (unless I get this bypass setup installed, and even then I'll have UOA's done frequently)

Given the 2.5% fuel, I think the ASL help up very well. Aside from the fuel dilution, what did you not like about the ASL UOA's?

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Nice run,nice oil. Quit while you are ahead and change it out at 8k. How much do you think the top up skewed the tbn?

I was wondering about that as well. I added 1/4 quart (at the very most) at 5500 miles into the OCI. I doubt that would skew the TBN too much, but I'm not knowledgable enough on the subject to say for sure...

For those of you like Amsoil, but also like changing oil fairly often, maybe a good alternative is to run the XL series? Saves you some money on shorter drains, but will still do 6-8k comfortably. Just an idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back