Royal Purple 5w30 - 2054mi - '06 STI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was worried about this oil shearing down quick as I had seen a few questionable UOA @ another Subaru board and as I drive spiritedly and often up mountain passes I wanted to be safe so I changed it a lot earlier than I normally would, but it looks like I didn't need to worry to much. This was with a Mobil 1 filter.

I only added a few ounces of extra oil and that was a few weeks before the test so I doubt that changed the results much.

STI_RP-5w30_12102008-web.jpg

Last edited:
Mostly the Zn and P - they are not under 500. Mo is low. It's like something went wrong at Blackstone.

And that leads me to believe wear numbers are off as well, but it is only 2000 miles, so I'm not as sure about those.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Mostly the Zn and P - they are not under 500. Mo is low. It's like something went wrong at Blackstone.

And that leads me to believe wear numbers are off as well, but it is only 2000 miles, so I'm not as sure about those.

Yea, I also thought some of the numbers looked weird. I have no clue though. :/

Man-I put 5w-30 RP in my 04 cobra when I just bought her a couple of weeks ago,@8k miles on the clock. I threw it in there 'cause a buddy at work gave it to me and the previous owner had only changed the oil twice in 4 years-YUK! So it came out same night I got her home. I am usually a 5w-30 M1 guy, putting 200k on a '95 LT-1 beating it every single mile, and that engine is still alive in a '32 ford. If that graph is right and correct, I think I just found the gold I'm staying with!

It's not April fools is it!

I agree with Pablo. Unless RP made a complete formulation change the moly, calcium, zinc, and phosphorus numbers are way off. If those numbers are correct, I would sure like to see what it looks like at 6K. Also, is that not kind of thin for a 30wt?

Last edited:
This may sound weird but the only thing I can think of is that the dealership changed my oil and didn't tell me. I had used a over sized crush ring when I put in the RP because I thought I may have a leak. I had to take the car in for a coolant flush and when I went to change the oil the next day I noticed the crush ring was the one you get from Subaru. The color of the oil made it looked used so I decided that they didn't.

I had complained to the service manager a few months before about them leaving some screws out of my brush guard and some other customer service problems and ever since then he has been there every time any of our cars come in and has been really nice.

That's the only thing I can think off unless like you said, Blackstone made a error.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
That may be the problem. If the crush washer was not the one you installed they must have changed it. Ask them what kind of oil they use.

Pennzoil Platinum, but they never told me if they did and they didn't put a sticker on the windshield either. I will be contacting them shortly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Well, I can tell you that the oil in that report is not Pennzoil Platinum.

Well that makes it a bit more confusing. I did call them but had to leave a message so I will be contacting Blackstone next.

edit: I just called and they are closed. I will have to call again tomorrow.

Last edited:
I just talked to the dealership and they are sure they didn't change the oil, so maybe Blackstone screwed up. I will check it out tomorrow.

It has Redline 5w30 in it now and I was going to use it for the next couple of changes but maybe next one I will use RP 5w30 again just to get a better UOA.

Last edited:
If you are going to do that, wait until the second change on RP before you try to compare it to the first one. It will take two oil changes with the RP to get out the left over additive and residue left by the Red Line. Two completely different base stocks and additive packages, plus a TON more moly in the Red Line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back