Honda A01 no end caps???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im using a Honda A01 oil filter and have another A01 and P1 on deck. I was looking at some cut open A01's and notice they have no end caps..and if they do they dont cover all the way out to the end of the media. Is this safe? wouldnt the dirty oil come in and go right through the top and bottom of pleats and go right back in the engine? or am i over looking something. How does this design work?

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
The ends of the media might be are glued?

Correct.

But the ends sure do look open to me. I was wondering the same thing as gregk24 when I cut open an A01 myself.

See this image from an earlier thread (I added the comments in yellow at that time).
Zoom in on the A01 element (most browsers will zoom with the "Ctrl +" key combination; "Ctrl 0" to return to original zoom).
honda-vs-fram.jpg

I think too many 0s and 1s have been expended concerning oil filter end caps. Look at what the manufacturers are using today. A cartridge with no end caps.That is bascically what you have in a spin-on filter with no media end caps.The Toyota filters I have cut open look fine after six months of service.Denso's own filter with the silcon ADBV is an improvement over what they make for Toyota. It is a very well made filter. Three Toyotas and four Hondas using OEM filters with no engine failures and no oil added between changes. Regards

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Quote:

Correct.

But the ends sure do look open to me.......

Well users should hope that "looks" are deceiving because if not there would be no need for a bypass, the A-01 would send unfiltered oil through the ends of each pleat. And while River_rats excellent filter analysis showed no endcap filters as a group to be relatively inefficient, it wasn't because the ends of the pleats were designed with unsealed ends. Confident they are sealed at the ends.

The purpose of the end caps is to hold the filtering media in position, nothing more. Which is why they can be metal, fiber, or even just glue. As long as it holds the media in position and doesn't let unfiltered oil by it doesn't really matter.

The A-01 above it looks like the pleat ends are filled with glue to prevent oil sneaking by unfiltered but I can't tell for sure from the pic.

Confident they are sealed at the ends.

Despite appearances, so am I, for the same reasons you gave. But now I wonder how they did it. When I studied a disassembled A01, it did not look like the ends were glued in any way.

Next time I get my hands on an A01, I'll actually rip the media apart and take pics.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Quote:

Correct.

But the ends sure do look open to me.

If you have one cut open, the tear the ends of the pleats apart and you should see that they are glued. Toyota filters are the same way.

No way the engineers are going to not seal the ends of the pleats because obviously if they didn't it would pass dirty oil like crazy past the media. What use is that?

Air filters are built in a similar manner. The ends of the pleats are glued together to seal them off.

Tegger, thanks for the tip about Ctrl 0 getting back to the original zoom level. I've been using Ctrl and my mouse wheel and couldn't decide what the original zoom level was. I learned sumpton new today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back