Next size larger than the Pure one pl14610?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Gang,

Newbie here. I like Pure One filters and am in the school of bigger is better so does anyone know if there a similar thread size for the PL 14610? It's for a Acura MDX 2004. Thanks!!

PL/L14459 Slightly shorter but wider with a greater capacity and a better rated efficiency.

Was used on 90's model Accords before they went to the 14610.

welcome2.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
PL/L14459 Slightly shorter but wider with a greater capacity and a better rated efficiency.

Yep, thanks to sayjac's suggestion ... I'm using the PL14459 instead of the PL14610 on my V6 Altima. Just make sure the filter mounting base will accommodate the larger filter can diameter.

The 14459 also has the coil spring bypass valve design instead of the flat "45 record" spring. I like the coil spring design better.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
What is the filtering difference and flow difference?

Flow delta is probably negligible, but the PL14459 is rated 99.9% @ 20 microns while the PL14610 is 99.9% @ 40 microns. 14459 has 15% more volume based on the can dimensions, so probably also has more filtering media. I'll know after I cut one open someday.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
Huh I thought all P1's were 99.9 @20.

All BUT 4 spin-ons ... the 4 smallest spin-ons are @ 40 microns. Says so on the BOX. 14610 is one of them.

Well news to me....All of my filters are large so that makes sense. Upgrade away then!!

Thanks for the memo Busa

Here's a photo of the PureONE PL14459 on the V6 Altima. Note that the base of the filter is the same size as the oil cooler ... so the fit was very good. Not physical fit issues on this engine. The PL145610 is about 0.45" smaller in diameter, but a little longer than the 14459.

PureONEPL14459.jpg

Here's the Altima VQ35 filter mount/oil cooler. Note you can see where the OEM filter left a score mark due to the P-gasket bottomng out and the outer circumference of the can hits the mount. This is typical with P-gaskets.

AltimaVQ35FilterMount.jpg

Here is a NAPA Gold 1356 on the VQ35. It's the same diameter as the Purolator 14610 or Motorcraft FL-822. Note smaller diameter compared to the 14559, as you can see some of the oil cooler base which is larger diameter than the 1356 or 14610 filters. O-ring diameter is the same on the 1356, 14610 and 14459 filters.

NAPAGold1356onVQ35.jpg

Thanks guys. Lots of good info here. My Lexus GS400 1999 uses a pure One PL20145. Is that the biggest that will fit that car?

Nice clear pics Busa. Is the oil cooler/mount standard equipment on the 3.5L? Ive never taken the side cover off on my 2.5L for my DIY filter change, but I'm fairly certain it doesn't have that design. As a matter of fact, I just checked and it seems the dealer used the shorter Nissan version of the 14610, not even sure of the other number. LOL But it was a free customer appreciation oil/filter change so I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth.
lol.gif

The 14459 actually looks to fit better on your filter mount better than the 14610. On the Hondas the outer part of the 14459 extends out past the gasket mounting area. It was because of you I took back to my Classic 14610's I got with an AAP Havoline oil/filter combo deal to exchange and get two 14459's. lol That said, I'm not quite as technical about efficiency as you. I have not problem using the PL/L 14610 at 99.9/97.5% at 40mu, still good and the construction is still solid. I'm going to cut open the P1 I'm running on my 3.0L Accord to 5-10% (currently 30%) or 1 year in June. But it is good to know the 14459 info, and unlike the Motorcraft rating, that you are happy.
grin2.gif

Nice clear pics Busa. Is the oil cooler/mount standard equipment on the 3.5L? Ive never taken the side cover off on my 2.5L for my DIY filter change, but I'm fairly certain it doesn't have that design.

Yes, the water-to-oil cooler is bone stock on the VQ35 ... I think the 4 cylinder also has one. The side cover removal is a 1 minute job ... just 4 quick release fasteners hold it on. Changing the oil & filter is easy on this car. Just turn the front wheels all the way to the right and you can get the cover and filter off without having to jack the car up at all.

As a matter of fact, I just checked and it seems the dealer used the shorter Nissan version of the 14610, not even sure of the other number. LOL But it was a free customer appreciation oil/filter change so I wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth.
lol.gif

That's a tiny filter ... same size as the PL14612, which is what all the application data says it should be. But yeah, free is hard to turn down.
lol.gif
Good thing there are larger filter options for these engines, as it seems the "right" filter application is just too small. I bet a WIX 51365 (the short version for this car) has a super tiny media element due to the bypass valve at the base and the big coil spring in the dome. I know the WIX 51356 (long version) has way less media than the PL14610, so I'd probably be shocked to see the media size in the WIX 51365.

The 14459 actually looks to fit better on your filter mount better than the 14610.

It fits well on the oil cooler base as the photos show. I'll be using the 14459 all the time now.

Yeah, I drive it up on ramps to change the oil anyway, so I don't need to remove the cover to get to the filter. Easier to work and the drain plug is at the back of the pan so I might get a little more oil out.

But, in the interest of science I just removed the cover for the first time ever, and the 03 2.5L does not have the 3.5L oil cooler. Didn't think I'd ever felt anything like that when I cleaned the gasket area.

And yes, they did use the (shorter) Nissan 14612 equivalent.

But, in the interest of science I just removed the cover for the first time ever, and the 03 2.5L does not have the 3.5L oil cooler. Didn't think I'd ever felt anything like that when I cleaned the gasket area.

Interesting ... I didn't know that. Guess they must think the VQ35 is "Hi-Pro".
wink.gif

I could see where ramps are good ... I don't have any so just do do the oil & filter change on the ground. I can get the drain plug out pretty easily while it's on the ground.

Better try a PL14459 next time.
thumbsup2.gif

Nice post! Soooo....assuming you can fit the larger filter, why would you go with the smaller filter? I've used both the NAPA GOLD and the P1. I think I'll go with the larger filter next time.

Also... Does anyone know if the NAPA GOLD 1356 has a larger equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back