Amsoil ASL 5w-30/10345 miles/2004 Toyota Camry 4cy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the analysis:
camry.png

Driving conditions:
25% city/75% highway
This is the girlfriend's car, it is driven to work about 35 miles from her home five times a week. She is also in the city, but lives next to the highway so she gets a little stop and go. There is the occasionaly stop and go traffic on the LIExpressway which can add 30 minutes of commute time on the return trip.

Maintenance:

Changed at 5000 mark from EAO filter to mobil1 filter for the remaining 5345 miles. Again, this is because Amsoil changed the filter change intervals. About 60,000 miles on the dash.

Thoughts:

I thought the oil would last a lot longer since amsoil boasts its 25,000 mile change interval. TBN is a little on the low side IMO. I'll leave the oil in until 15,000 miles and change it to something cheaper. Thinking of using Supertech syn w/ puralator just like the RAV4 and changing it at 5000 miles.

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
What brand of air filter? There are some threads on high silicon possibly from oil filters with silicone adbv as well as air filters with a hard plastic lip that doesn't seal well.
Just for my info.
Your UOA looks good to me for 10k, but I'm no expert.

Did better than the RAV4 run, but it's a newer, 'cleaner' engine. TBN says it will most likely survive 15k, which is what Amsoil recommends for severe service. Any city/stop-n-go driving makes it severe.

Might want to check the air filter, to make sure there are no leaks.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
What brand of air filter? There are some threads on high silicon possibly from oil filters with silicone adbv as well as air filters with a hard plastic lip that doesn't seal well.
Just for my info.
Your UOA looks good to me for 10k, but I'm no expert.

The air filter was last changed by the dealership.

Last edited:
One thing I forgot to add was that this was the first run of Amsoil after dealership oil changes.

That's an excellent UOA. That's one of the best UOA on a 10k OCI I have seen so far on the 2AZFE engine. I would stick to Amsoil. But If you want to go with something cheaper either get PP or Mobil 1. For few dollars more why settle for Supertech.

I'd run the Amsoil again. Some cleaning might have taken place in the first run. If that is the case the next run should a be better indication how Amsoil will perform in the Camry.

It's one of the reason why I like to use synthetic oil very early when engine is young. This will enable me to trend how well the oil performs and how long also.

Last edited:
I may have scan read, but I didn't see a time span mentioned. If she's commuting 70miles a day, that would run about 18k/year. I'd go to 15k and see what it looks like. That 2.9 is 4.x-5.x with some other lab's TBN method.

YMMV with something like PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back