Subaru oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Primus,

Is that 1l/1000km "normal" oil consuption rule stated in the owner's manual? I ask, because it is in most VAG cars.

Also, have you tried intervening at a higher level, ie. Subaru Ukraine HQ or Subaru parent company?

If this doesn't help, try to get enough owners together and get the media interested. It works here in the US as TV/Radio/newspapers are hungry for news. Not sure if it's the same in Ukraine. That's how Audi/VW owners got VWoA to admit that there was a manufacturing defect relating to ignition coils a few years back - they took it to the news as VWoA wouldn't listen.

Take a glass jar with a lid, and attach two pipes to the top of the lid. One pipe connects to the crankcase vent, and the other connects to the PCV valve. Attach the jar securely to the engine. See if oil collects in the jar.

Primus, what exactly is your preferred method for proper engine break-in?

Friends, I still drive my Prelude 2.2 VTEC with which I already made 230.000 km and which does not really know what is an oil consumption despite numerous longway spirited flights, as well as new Mazda6 recently acquired as a company car. So, personally I avoided eventual headaches with oil consumption issues in case I would have a Subaru. As I wrote in my first post BITOG help was needed to the members of one of Subaru forums in Russia. Too many owners complaint on oil consumption and who else, if not BITOG with its number of knowledgeable and creative members, may help ?

Quattro Pete,
Seems Subaru Russia is not interested to work out this issue or to give recommendations to new customers and it's clear why. The problem is not new and it exists in other countries too, so its solving will be quite costly for the manufacturer. Apparently, the media remains the last solution. I forgot about this.

Oilyriser,
Thank you for generating ideas. As usual it's very interesting. I shall recommend your test method to our Subaru forum members.

Buster,
Break-in is my ill point. Please, don't insist: I still suffer thinking my first 500 km with Mazda was not perfect for its break-in. Think it was too gentle. At the same time, may be we overestimate the necessity of beak-in time ? Do we believe all owners of other makes do it always properly ? Obviously not, but I never head about so many oil issues at other makes. Only Subaru and those Audi/VW mentionned by Pete.

Primus

I'm not suprised about the impotence, this is, afterall, "Bob is the oil guy", not "Bob is the Subaru mechanic". It is not suprising your problem cannot be fixed here because chances are if you are using top quality oils, appropriate viscosity for your situation, tried & tested in a great many applications, your problem is not oil related. The only relevance to oil may be that this is what is being consumed and nothing more. You should try searching or posting on the NASIOC forums, biggest Subaru resource I can think of.

Yea, the impotence part cracked me up too.
rolleyes.gif

ok i just wanted to add some food for thought.

1) from my understanding synthetics have smaller molecules and leak past seals easier. this could be one cause. especially in the turbo.

2) the high heat of the turbo could cuase these oils to break down and leak past the seals in such small doses that when mixed with the air and fuel will leave no traces on the spark plugs.

3) certain oils may just not be compatible with these motors (i will not go into reasoning on this, but i am mainly reffering to weight/brand). my personal experience is my car started smoking (2004 wrx) and while sporadic, seemed to show up while idling after warmed up. this first happened when i changed the oil to amsoil 10-40. i have since gone back to 15-50 amsoil and M1(due to rising gas prices and lower paying job) and have not seen the problem reoccur. I still believe this had something to do with the turbo, but i can't be certain.

Joe
dunno.gif

I remember Richard from Australia stating that Subaru asked his advice when they faced oil consumption problems there.
His answer was the use of 10W40 oils.
I think a light 10W40 as Aral will be perfect for the winter and a heavy one like valvoline's durablend will be good for summer.
The place where i service my matiz is authorised to do minor work in subarus like oil changes. The only approved oil they used (by Subaru Greece) until recently was valvoline's durablend 10W40.

[ September 17, 2005, 11:43 PM: Message edited by: yannis ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back