Oil Recommendation Subaru FB20D / 2021 Crosstrek and Honda J35Z8 (2015 Odyssey)

I usually use Amsoil (where applicable) and their recommendation for both engines is 0W-20 (Signature).

Subaru specifies 0W-20, but I've heard that these engines can experience fuel contamination and high oil consumption. The particular vehicle has around 45k kms and is not using oil.

Honda specifies 0W-20. This vehicle has around 50k kms and is not using any oil.

Both vehicles are driven in the Vancouver, BC area. Typical lowest temperature is around -10C. Typical highest temperature is around 35C.

Should I go with 0W-20 or can I use 0W-30? Ideally, I would like to use the same oil in both.

I usually use Amsoil (where applicable) and their recommendation for both engines is 0W-20 (Signature).

Subaru specifies 0W-20, but I've heard that these engines can experience fuel contamination and high oil consumption. The particular vehicle has around 45k kms and is not using oil.

Honda specifies 0W-20. This vehicle has around 50k kms and is not using any oil.

Both vehicles are driven in the Vancouver, BC area. Typical lowest temperature is around -10C. Typical highest temperature is around 35C.

Should I go with 0W-20 or can I use 0W-30? Ideally, I would like to use the same oil in both.
You’ve got a good handle. Maybe use the 0w30 in summer and 0w20 in winter.

If these late model cars are running properly, the outside temperature makes absolutely no difference that would drive choice of oil. Honda's specify 0W20 and run hundreds of thousands of miles with that. Subarus have some engine issues, but certainly will work fine. Choose your in-spec 0W20 oil and go with that.

I'm in the same boat right now with my 21 outback 2.5. I've run Amsoil OE 3k and signature 5k OCI 0w20 with good results but both end up on the lower end for 20 weight viscosity. I'm definitely moving to a year round 0w-30 oil. Currently thinking of either going Amsoil Signature or Penzoil Euro 0w-30.

Back