Which ATF would you Choose to replace Matic D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used Pennzoil Multi-vehicle, and Amsoil ATF. Neither really feal any different to me. I thought the Amsoil felt different, but now I am not so sure. The transmission still shifts harsh between 1-2, but not too bad. What would you use?

I have all kinds of options available, but one think is for sure.

I want to drain and refill the tranny at 10k OCI's no matter what fluid it is. Any experiences? The tranny has 90k miles on it.

Here is what I am thinking....

Amsoil is a little too expensive...
Pennzoil Multi-vehicle is an option...don't know if it is best..maybe syn blend??? Friction modifiers?
Maxlife Dex/Merc is an option...also don't know how good.

I just need a little help deciding...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cooper
I have used Pennzoil Multi-vehicle, and Amsoil ATF. Neither really feal any different to me. I thought the Amsoil felt different, but now I am not so sure. The transmission still shifts harsh between 1-2, but not too bad. What would you use?

I want to drain and refill the tranny at 10k OCI's no matter what fluid it is. Any experiences? The tranny has 90k miles on it.

Pennzoil Multi-vehicle is an option...don't know if it is best..maybe syn blend??? Friction modifiers?

Royal Purple and Redline both offer excellent multispec ATF's like Amsoil's but would probably be too expensive for you based on your comments. Quaker State and Mobil 1 both also offer multispec ATF's. If money is a major part of your decision process however, then you are limited to the name brand oil company offerings( ie; PP, QS, VV, Mobil, etc... ).

Also, I too am curious about your BP grudge? I understand not wanting to use Citgo products because of the ties to Chavez and not wanting to use Mobil products because it is ExxonMobil but never heard anyone against BP? What's the deal?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really have too much bad to say about BP....

But, I don't like the gas...my gas mileage sucks on BP.

I haven't had any good luck with Castrol oil...so that is a negative as well.

I just have a general dislike for Castrol and BP for some reason. Nothing good has ever come from using BP products for me. Thats all. I just wouldn't feel right using their products. I know that doesn't make sense to some, but, it is like anything else. If you get a bad taste in your mouth from a specific restaraunt, do you go back? Probably not, even if you know the food is quality, you just don't like it.....

I just have a general dislike for Castrol and BP for some reason. Nothing good has ever come from using BP products for me. Thats all. I just wouldn't feel right using their products. I know that doesn't make sense to some, but, it is like anything else. If you get a bad taste in your mouth from a specific restaraunt, do you go back? Probably not, even if you know the food is quality, you just don't like it.....

Makes perfect sense to me. I won't use Amsoil products, even though they are very good quality, just because the company itself leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Completely understand your position especially since you have had a bad user experience.

Originally Posted By: NHSilverado

Makes perfect sense to me. I won't use Amsoil products, even though they are very good quality, just because the company itself leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Completely understand your position especially since you have had a bad user experience.

one bad experience means not much. so many varibles that are involved.
my opinion with ATF is I would never use Amsoil ATF in any transmission that wasnt completely drained and flushed first.
just draining the pan and leaving the rest in there to mix is a very BAD idea, why? cause you ruined the Amsoil ATF you put in.
13.gif

Originally Posted By: lazaro
Originally Posted By: NHSilverado

one bad experience means not much. so many varibles that are involved.
my opinion with ATF is I would never use Amsoil ATF in any transmission that wasnt completely drained and flushed first.
just draining the pan and leaving the rest in there to mix is a very BAD idea, why? cause you ruined the Amsoil ATF you put in.
13.gif

I respectfully disagree. One bad experience is just that a BAD experience. If it happened once it could happen again. To some they may give it another chance while others will say no thanks.

You guys are getting too emotional here....

Fluids are fluids and they are all speced.

The margin of error is low, use is and discard as needed based ur comfort level of PM.

Okay, my original question.....what would you guys recommend? Anything specific? I am leaning toward buying a case of Maxlife or buying a case of Pennzoil MV ATF......

Any suggestions?

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
You guys are getting too emotional here....

Fluids are fluids and they are all speced.

The margin of error is low, use is and discard as needed based ur comfort level of PM.

I am not saying anything other than I understand having a bad experience with something or when doing something and then not wanting to use/do it again. Could be anything from a hotel stay to gasoline. Not emotional on my part at all. Just agreeing with the guy and letting him know I understand and that I don't think it sounded crazy like he said.

Okay, my original question.....what would you guys recommend? Anything specific? I am leaning toward buying a case of Maxlife or buying a case of Pennzoil MV ATF......

Any suggestions?

Penzoil or Valvoline are about as good a quality as you will get in the price range you apparantly want to stay in. As the other guy said though they are all pretty much the same so any will do. Use the name brand you feel most comfortable with.

Well, I would rather pay $3 a quart than $7 a quart, plus a preferred customer charge. Just seems like a waste for the Amsoil if I can get similar quality for less than half the cost.

But, sometimes I think I could just go 20k drain intervals on the Amsoil and it would cost similar to the 10k drains with Pennzoil or Valvoline. I change my mind about it a lot.

Well, I would rather pay $3 a quart than $7 a quart, plus a preferred customer charge. Just seems like a waste for the Amsoil if I can get similar quality for less than half the cost.

$3 a qt conventional fluid will not be the same quality as $7-$10+ a qt premium synthetic fluid like RP, RL, Amsoil, etc... $3 a qt conventional fluid will be the same quality as other $3 a qt conventional fluids.

If you are going to do this every 10K as I believe you said then it doesn't make sense to run the synthetic I agree unless you want the increased performance vs the conventional fluid and you feel the extra $$$ is worth it. If not then stick with affordable dino ATF.

Pick whatever conventional name brand fluid you feel is best and use that. They( ie; the conventional $3 p/qt stuff )will all be about the same. I personally like Valvoline and Quaker State conventional ATF's. Synthetics it is RP and RL.

Sorry that isn't more specific but really $3 qt conventional ATF is pretty much all the same.

EDIT - 20K IMO then go to a synthetic. I would say RP or RL, Amsoil, or synthetic Valvoline if it is compatible with your tranny.

Okay, for some of the Amsoil guys.....

What would you recommend doing drain and refills mileage wise.

The transmission holds 9.8 quarts, and about 5 drains out with drain and refill.

How many miles per year does the vehicle in question see?

Lot of highway miles? Stop and go everyday, short trips?

A good mix of both. My work commute is about 30 miles one way, mostly highway, but I drive around my small town a lot and that is stop and go. So I would say, probably 70% highway 30% stop and go. I drive about 15k miles per year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back