Dorman EZ-Drain - Fumoto challenger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw in an O'reilly's ad a new Dorman EZ-Drain oil valve. Push up turn 1/4 turn locks open. Looks to be a challenger to the Fumoto valve. Tempted to get one, anyone see the ad yet?

Quote:

Saw in an O'reilly's ad a new Dorman EZ-Drain oil valve. Push up turn 1/4 turn locks open. Looks to be a challenger to the Fumoto valve. Tempted to get one, anyone see the ad yet?

We don't have O'Reillys here.
frown.gif

But I'd love to find something better than the Fumoto valve.

I WISH I could find a Sure Drain for my Subaru and get rid of the Fumoto on it.

Not impressed with the Fumoto. Not a bit..

Better than the stock drain plug? yes, but compared to the sure drain on my Toyota and the other ones I've had, not in the same league.

Let me know if you find someplace on the web to look at this EZ-Drain!

Thanks, Bill
patriot.gif

Bill, what don't you like about the Fumoto?

I stocked up on Sure-Drains for all my vehicles when I started seeing them disappear from the stores.

Quote:

Bill, what don't you like about the Fumoto?

I stocked up on Sure-Drains for all my vehicles when I started seeing them disappear from the stores.

1. Junk gets into the valve. You have to take a Q-tip and very carefully clean it before opening and IMO, someday the c r a p that you can not get off the ball will cause the gasket to leak.
dunno.gif

2. When you open it, oil comes out about 18-20 inches from the pan at first. Then about 12 inches. Then about 6 inches. Then about 4 inches. Then below it. You get to stay under the car and move the pan unless you have one about 2 feet long. (which you should have because of the splash that happens durning the drain) Very messy .
nono.gif

3. The soft brass causes it to become loose (Fumoto warns not to over tighten as you will damage it) and leak. I've had to tighten it over a 5k OCI a few times.

4. Sticks out alot futher than a sure Drain.

5. Cost is way to high.

The Sure Drains I've used drain just as quick, MUCH cleaner, drain into a container, have a end cap that keeps things safe and clean and once you install it, its done.

Now, I've only had one Fumoto on my 2007 Subaru Outback (I stated a thread on it here) and Sure Drains on the following;

1993 Dodge Grand Caravan V6
1994 F150 V8
1996 Chev C1500 V6
1998 Honda Accord I4
1999 Ford Taurus V6
2000 Chev Silverado 4x4 V8
2001 Honda Civic I4
2002 Chev Silverado 4x4 V8
2003 Pt Cruiser I4
2005 Saturn (honda V6) Vue
2005 Toyota Corolla I4

So I have ALOT of history with SureDrains and only one Fumoto. I have a Fumoto in a bag for the Corolla and its still in the bag..

Is it better than the stock drain plug? Other than loosing up and sticking down longer than the stock one, yes as it does prevent stripped/damaged pan threads. (hopefully..)

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Quote:

3. The soft brass causes it to become loose (Fumoto warns not to over tighten as you will damage it) and leak. I've had to tighten it over a 5k OCI a few times.

That's enough reason for me not to get one.

I only do two oil changes a year so I'll just stick with the factory drain plug.

I'm also tempted with the EZ-Drain. The price is right. I might check on my application when I pick up my Rhino Ramps (rebate offer). I liked the Sure Drain, but it did drain a lot slower.

how much are they? anyone willing to buy one and mail it to me if i paypal the money? there's no o'reilly stores in toronto, canada or anywhere close across the border.

and whats sure drain? sounds like a great product the way you guys describe it. never heard of it. tell me more!

Sure drain was a Fram product (probably the only one that people didn't complain about
laugh.gif
) It was a drain plug replacement that made changing your oil easier.

For some unknown reason Fram stopped making them.

The EZ-Drain seems to be very similar in design.

can the sure drain be gotten anywhere these days? online maybe?

so would anyone that lives near an O'reilly store be willing to buy one and mail it to me? i can PayPal the money for it!

I've used Fumoto valves on three different vehicles for a total of perhaps 180,000 miles. As a counterpoint to Bill's post:

1.) Junk in the valve
-I've never cleaned the valve and never had leaks. If it were really necessary to meticulously clean the ball before turning the valve every time, that'd be a dealbreaker by itself. Not sure how you had this trouble and I didn't, I'm really at a loss...

2.) The garden hose effect
-You can get a Fumoto with a nipple to attach a plastic hose if your drain pan isn't big enough. With the car jacked up enough to get underneath, I never had trouble and most often use one of those AwfulZone drain pans that's about 20 inches across. Before that, I used a handy plastic tray (maybe 12" x 7") that you'd screw two 2-liter bottles to, no trouble there either.

3.) Softness of brass body leads to loosening over time
-Never heard of this trouble either. ~180,000 combined miles and I tightened one valve _once_ just because I thought it might need it. Never saw a leak. Fumoto's warning about overtightening is a CYA move. Common sense and a minimally careful arm tell you when you've tightened brass enough.

4.) Sticks out
-No way around this one. If you're worried about it sticking out too far, don't use it. Never caused me any trouble, but YMMV.

5.) Excessive cost
-24 bucks last time I bought one. Make peace with your inner cheapskate.
smile.gif

My experience with Fram SureDrains, one for the old Mazda 1.8, the other for the Ford Exploder 5 liter:

They drained slowly. _REAL_ slowly, like put the hose on and do some laundry, come back later slowly. Moreover, to get even that much flow, I had to tighten the hose attachment with a pair of pliers to open the valve enough - just as much trouble as using a regular drain plug. Forget it! On the plus side, the little brass cap to cover the valve bit was nice and it didn't stick out any farther than the regular drain bolt.

Just my experience, take it for what it's worth!

BennyL,
You can find the Fram Suredrain on ebay for $3.50 this week, plus $4.70 shipping to Canada. If they have the size you need.

cool, thanks prebis. i e-mailed the guys to see if they have my size.

i wanna give this EZ-Drain a shot though. any chance you can get one for me, and mail it to me? i'll paypal you the money for it and the cost of mailing it. anyone? mh2800?

Quote:

Sure drain was a Fram product (probably the only one that people didn't complain about
laugh.gif
) It was a drain plug replacement that made changing your oil easier.

For some unknown reason Fram stopped making them.

The EZ-Drain seems to be very similar in design.

Didn't the Fram product require a hose with a special connector to be attached to it to make it work? If so, this doomed the product because if you lost the hose you couldn't drain the oil.

You can sometimes find the SureDrain on Ebay.

Personally...... I love Fomoto valves with the nipple on the various cars we have.

Bump to the top: I purchased this item yesterday from O'Reilly. I plan to try it on my Fusion soon. I snapped some pics. The design looks OK, but I think it will drain slowly -- even more so than SureDrain. To drain, you push in on the cap, and turn right. This allows the oil to drain from 4 tiny holes in the plug insert. It seems to seal with a tiny O-ring. Here's some pics. I will try it, but I really won't know it's true benefiy until the next OCI.

Sorry for the blurry pics:

CLOSED:

EZ_Drain_closed.jpg

OPEN (for draining):

EZDrain.jpg

I completely disagree with Bill from Utah. Fumoto is excellent quality. I've put over 250k miles using teh drain and NEVEr had a problem. They are made extremely well.

Use it with confidence.

Take care

thumbsup.gif

I have been using a fumoto valve for about a year. I have a good experience. Never had to tighten it or clean junk out of it to get it to work. I have also not had any problems with leaks. Even without a fumoto oil in my vehicle shoots out as it is spec with 5w-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back