Acetone for increased MPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been hearing a lot lately about adding a small amount of PURE acetone to a tank of gas (approx. 1oz acetone to 5 gals gas) to increase MPG by 35-75%. I originally saw it on kipkay.com and after looking into it more, it seems like it might be true and without any real drawbacks. anyone know anything about this?
confused.gif

People have tried it, it wont work to boost mileage like that.

You will be MUCH happier with a quality fuel additive like Redline, FP, Lucas UCL.
smile.gif

The only way you will ever know is to try for yourself. I have not seen any good evidense that acetone will damage a modern fuel system if the dose is kept down to less than 3 ounces per 5 gallons of fuel and is mixed as you fill up the tank. The best thing to do is keep a log and try it being careful to duplicate conditions between tanks of fuel, with and without acetone. If you're not willing to do that then you should not bother worring about acetone and gas mileage.

I noticed the vehicle had a smoother idle on the tanks that had the highest concentration of acetone (initial dose of 4 ounces into 20 gallons), but I did not notice any mpg change. I'm still testing it though.

You wont be getting any gains like that if any. One thing is for sure, it will be an effective fuel system cleaner. I have increased my MPG's using UCL, but I'd be lucky if it was around the 5 to 10 % range. Hard to say for sure because of variations in freeway miles between tanks. I've been thinking about it for a while, and why would acetone give better milage? I think to accomplish this you would have to have more energy in your mix than straight gas, and I'm not sure this would happen with acetone, but it's possible UCL might. I can see it working if you have a bad injector or injectors, and the acetone gets you a finer spray pattern, but I don't believe Acetone will make your gas have more energy or make better use of the energy that's there by any significant amount.

mythbusters acetone project

other acetone post

If it were that easy, don't you think at least one oil company would do it and advertise the heck out of it?

Quote:

If it were that easy, don't you think at least one oil company would do it and advertise the heck out of it?

Agree.

Actually pouring a 2 liter bottle of Diet Pepsi in your gas tank will give you 487.76% more horse power and 354.21% better MPG. You can be sure this is true because I would never make up exact number.
chairs.gif

Don't woose out. Try it. Buy a gallon at the home improvement store and get a note book. You will at least get your money's worth in entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back