What oil do Ford 3v 5.4 motors like? 2005 F150.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Rotella 15w40 it's inexpensive and it works.We use it in every truck at work gas and diesel works great.

I've heard alot of good things about Rotella 15w40... But isn't it too heavy of an oil to use in a newer Ford 3v modular motor?? What would be the noticeable difference between running the Rotella versus a 5w20 or 5w30?

I don't think any oil/filter combination will get rid of the start up rattle. I have 3 different year 4.6l modular engines at present - same block design as the 5.4L and I have tried the following oils and filters:
Schaeffers 5w20 w/mc filter & wix filters (quietest w/mc filter)
Mobil 1 5w20 w/mobil filter
MC 5w20 w/mc and napa filters
amsoil 5w20xl and amsoil EAO filter
valvoline 5w30 AC w/Fram White can of serious injury
Penz Platinum 5w30 with pureone filter (Noisiest filter - not oil)
Q Torque 5w30 & 10w30 and wix filters (No difference with higher visc oil)
Carquest (Valvoline) 10w30 and wix filter
Supetech 5w30 with supertech filter (Very Noisey on start up)
And a few other oils and filters. I even installed an amsoil preoiler which did quiet it somewhat, but never completely eliminated the noise. The chain tensioners on these engines are tightened by oil pressure and at startup they just make noise. Some worse than others. I have two 4.6l vehicles under warrenty and the factory will not fix them, becuase they say it's normal. And to prove it, the service manager and the sales manager took me out on the lot and started 3 Gran Marquis and 2 F150 trucks, both trucks and 2 of the GM's had the rattle. All had less than 200 miles on them. My 04 and 05 CV do it intermittantly, usually if they have been off for a few hours, but they sound the same on startup even if they have been sitting a week. One of the CV's I sold came to me used with 15w40 fleet in the crankcase, I would not personally reccommend this oil for the modular engine even in warm climate, but it will work. Just don't try it in Minnesota in the middle of winter unless you really want to hear some startup noise.
Also using the old fashioned butt dyno, all my vehicles respond better to 5w20 or 5w30. When I was trying 10w30 the car just felt slower and the car with 15w40 was marginal in the summer and down right horrible when temps got to zero. Poor idle and sluggish until partially warmed up,

I have a '99 F150 with the 4.6 V8. Currently pushing over 157,000 miles. This is my second F150 - the previous being a '97 F150 that sold with 163,000 on the odometer. Both have always had a bit of a clatter for the first second or two at startup, regardless of oil or filter combination. The most noticeble reduction I ever had was switching from quickie lube filters to quality filters (motorcraft/wix/purolators). Didn't eliminate noise, but reduced it. Regardless, most of our fleet at work sounds about the same, and there haven't been longetivity/reliability issues.

Also, others may remember, but I ran a whole series of 1 year long runs on 5w20, 5w30, and 5w40 oils. All worked fine, UOA's showed very slightly better wear on 5w40, but not enough to argue that is was out of statisitcal noise. I got hit with a nearly 7% reduction in fuel mileage running 5w40.

Utlimately, I've settled on 5w30 (slightly less volitility/makeup oil than 5w20) and Wix (Napa) filters.

on my 2006 Lincoln naviguzler i use castrol syntec and a ford filter good ____ best uoa i ever had with the guzzler i have tried pp, gtx, mobil, esso, gc, qs 4x4

I think it works fine every truck and in the fleet uses it and in the 15yrs I've worked here never had a oil related failure.Rotella comes in 10w30 at Wal-mart and O'reilly auto its a little on the thick side of 30w if you want to stay in that range.

Currently using Schaeffer 705 5w20 semi syn and it has almost 300ppm of moly, makes no difference on startup chain rattle. But the engine was never noisey after running, so I don't know if it quiets it down. Nice oil 4500 miles on oil and tbn was still at 4.

Well I have some preliminary good info...

Startups over the past 2 days have been noise free! So far, not a hint of the startup rattle! Hopefully, the trend will continue.
beer2.gif

Quote:

Startups over the past 2 days have been noise free! So far, not a hint of the startup rattle! Hopefully, the trend will continue.
beer2.gif

Did the oil/filter change cure your problem? I have a 2003 Lincoln Navigator that has a start-up rattle.

Quote:

Quote:

beer2.gif

Did the oil/filter change cure your problem? I have a 2003 Lincoln Navigator that has a start-up rattle.

Well, yes AND no! I still have a startup rattle, but it's much more rare than it was before. Before, it would rattle just about every day on startup. Now maybe once a week...

So it's definately affected by oil. I think next OCI I'm going to give 10w30 a try. It seems that the thicker the oil upon startup, the less frequency that I get the noise.

I'd watch it with the Ford modulars....5W-xx is one thing, but heading into 10W ???
Not too sure.
and before everyone starts flaming me, you should research a bit and find that the modular motors have very tight clearances, like Honda cars.
find a "thicker" 5W-20 (preferably) or 5W-30 if you have to.

If a 5w-30 is ok, then a 10w-30 is ok. [censored], Mobil1 5w-30 is thicker at 100C than Mobil1 10w-30. But, besides that, the higher the first part, the better it is against shearing. Run a treatment of Lucas Oil Stabilizer and it will rid you of the start up rattle. I ran Castrol GTX 10w-30 in my 4.6 H.O. and it loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back