Best oil type and weight for high mile 4.6 mustang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I just pick up 1998 Mustang GT 4.6L manual with 135k miles, I dont know what oil weight doest this car use and what is best oil type for this car, the car is stock and mainly driving alot in town then highway. The car is not leak right now. Thanks

I have a 99 Mustang 4.6 with 80,000 miles. The manual calls for Motorcraft 5w30. I learned on this board that this engine has been re-spected for 5w20. That's what I'm using with no problems.

Motorcraft Semi-syn 5w30 since your down in the Mississippi heat. Valvoline Maxlife (conventional, blend, or synthetic)5w30 would also be a great choice.

I would use wix over motorcraft filters. Any 5w20 or 5w30 will work great. No need to use thick oil in these engines.

I have a 97 Mustang with the 4.6 and just over 50,000 miles. I've tried pretty much every dino 5w-30 and some 5w-20's. Right now I'm just using 5w-30 supertech and a motorcraft filter, now that supertech is coming in 5w-20 I might try that out.

I thought you said High milage for a 4.6. Just use your favorite 5W-20 and get either Motorcraft, Wix, or Amsoil filter and be happy.

I used only Motorcraft filters and Mobil 1 10W-30 in my Lincoln Mark VIII with the same, but higher horsepower engine. (Mine was modified to produce 345 BHP) I sold the car with 170k on the clock and it was not missing a beat. I did a UOA every oil change with them being approximently 8k between. Never had one time in thirteen years any showing of significant wear metals. Say what you will about M1, but it performs well in this engine.

Try Valvoline Maxlife 5-30 (regular or syn) and MoCraft FL820S filter. Great combination. My '96 4.6 w/160k+ miles likes this combination best.

Stay away from Bosch plugs, stick with MoCraft Plat plugs.

Good luck with your new 'Stang

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back