Fluid change for Aztec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need to change the automatic transmission fluid in my wife's 2003 Pontiac Aztec. How do I go about it? Do I just drop the pan, replace the filter, gasket and filter? Or should I take it in to have a shop flush out the entire tranny?

I'm kinda stumped because I have never changed fluid on such a new vehicle like this and don't want to mess something up. Thanks for the advice in advance.

I was going to but, never got around to it. Kinda worried about someone flushing it. Have heard bad stories about the over pressure bit messing up seals.

Flushing won't overpressure anything because a fluid exchange machine is operated by the pressure generated from the fluid coming out of your own transmission. There's no compressed air hooked up to the machine.

Personally, I would just pull the pan, put on a new filter kit, and refill with 7-8 qt of Dexron-VI.

Quote:

Personally, I would just pull the pan, put on a new filter kit, and refill with 7-8 qt of Dexron-VI.

I think this is good advice. This is what I do with my vehicles with the same transmission as the Aztec. These typically have a reusable gasket as well. The filter kit will only include a filter and seal for the filter neck which only needs to be replaced if the current one is worn to much or damaged. I try to do it every 30k.

That only works if you have more than one person around. Might just be easier to pull the pan more often than to fuss around with the lines and risk a big mess if you're working alone.

I did it alone. Just need some extra hose, clamps, hose splice fitting, funnel for the fill tube, and a bucket to catch the waste. Worked great. Just feed the fluid in as fast as the pump moves it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back