Yokohama Avid TRZ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Don't let the 'Z' fool you - these are benign "touring" tires in non-aggressive sizes.

Anyone have experience with them? Looking at these vs. Dounlop Sport A2 and the new cooper CS4 touring tires.

Thanks,

JMH

No first hand experience but I am aware of several people who have used the TRZ on their Chrysler LH cars (Intrepid/Concorde/300M etc) and all have reported very positive comments.

The TRZ is very highly rated in the touring class on Tirerack.com by their testers as well as their customer survey.

The Dunlop Sport A2 is really a different class, performance all season. It's rated pretty poorly. Yhe Yokohama Avid H4S or Bridgestone G009 are better choices in that class.

But the thing is that Ive had nothing but top-notch luck with the sport A2, and consider them much more worthy than the tests and results reflect...

So Im noit sure about them being rated as is.

Thanks!

JMH

I was looking at similar tires and ended up going with the Sumitomo HTR H4 - they were on sale in my size (195/60/15) and a good bit cheaper than the others. We'll see how they do compared to my Avid H4S that were on there. I do like non-directional tires for more even wear, after owning the H4S.

I have these on my 2002 Nissan Sentra, P185/65R14 tire size. About 6,000 miles on them so far.

The Avid TRZ has outperformed the prior two set of tires (Dunlop SP20 and Goodyear Regatta 2) that I've had on the car. They are especially good in the rain; they are the first tires I've had on this car that don't "track" when you hit standing water. These tires are also quieter at highway speeds. They did OK in light snow this past winter.

We'll see how the treadwear goes, but I don't worry about that as much as having good traction!

I'd recommend them based on my experiences.

They are not Z rated. I think they are S or something. Anyway, I have them on the CRV and they are awesome. One of my favourite tires. REALLY good in rain, nice handling and ride. Price and selection are good too, although they are not cheap. I would take them over SPA2s in a sec. I have had a few DOZEN A2s. I even consider the TRZ for performance apps like my RSX. I went with the Kumho ASX instead. I like the ASX, but they are soft sidewall and in fact, quite a lot like the A2. Still, I would take the TRZ over many others. Wear has been great. I would consider them for the RSX as I said, just for wear, but I really want Conti Extremes again for the winter performance. Yokohama makes a great tire. I have H4S on right now, great handling, very crisp. Not real good in snow. Similar to the G-009s but I think G-009 has the edge with a typically good Bridgestone ride PLUS the handling. Any of those tires are great, but I'd say from best handling to best ride...
H4S
G-009
Conti Extreme
TRZ
ASX
SP A2

In snow, ContiExtreme and A2s are very good, ASX are good too. fwiw, there is a TRZ thread with a lot of posts, all favourable.

I just put a set on my dodge caravan 215/65-65 Price was
$440 out the door, that included everything (lifetime rotate, insurance etc,)

Only have about 2,000 mile on them, but so far they are awesome.

Quote:

They are not Z rated.

Never said they were - I said not to let the 'Z' fool anyone...

I appreciate the insight, and listing of known good options. Most of those are not in the size 195/70/14, which is what is needed for this application, ut that is OK.

Thanks again!

JMH

I have a set and have no complaints. I have about 10K miles on them so far and have been impressed with their traction in snow.

For anyone that is confused by the name, TRZ stands for "Three Ride Zones" and describes the tread design.

i have about 33000 miles on my TRZ's and I am very happy with them. For the price they are a great tire.

if they are still offered when they wear out, i might be another set. right now i believe i will get about 70000 -80000 miles out of them.

What are they going on? Have had them on the Quest for the past 20K and think they are fantastic for this type vehicle. I would not consider them as a first choice for a true sport application. But for something good up to 8/10ths, has great wet traction, great wear, are quiet, and are relativily cheap, the pickings for something else comparable are very slim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back