Best oil for humid summer in high mileage car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wondering what the best or very good oil to use during a hot humid norhteast summer in stop and go traffic, in a high mileage car would be? 102,000 miles on a 1995 plymouh neon. I am using 10W 30 so far for those humid unbearrable months.. I was thining, maybe high mileage oils in the 10w 30 range? 5w 30 range? I dont want to use full synthetics, as i already know my car will leak bad... did so with mobil 1 5w 30 2 years ago. HUGE puddle under car druing summer, switched back to dino and went away. Every oil change, 3,000 mies or 3 months i cannot account for a quart of oil, so i am guessing its buring off? So thats another facotr i m acoutning for here.
and ideas?
dunno.gif

I'd go with Maxlife. I'd do a half 10w30, half 10w40 mix, or just run 10w40 straight. No scientific reason why. Good luck.

Maxlife 10W30 would work very well and shouldn't cause any leaks and should help with the oil consumption some. I wouldn't spend a lot on that plymouth on oil though, it's getting a little old but has seemingly low miles (lots of city driving?)

ziggy, The same oil that works well in the cold, humid or dry winter months. Your high mileage engine really could care less about the ambient weather, IF proper cleanliness,tune, and upkeep is maintained and will assist with weather variations stresses.

A reasonably good quality 10w30 SM oil with 3 -5 ounces Auto-RX is a good regimen for you without seeing a lubricant analysis.

Terry

This summer or when ever i get off my keester would like to try some auto rx in my truck that normally sees Amsoil synthetics since chaning oil every six months i figure it would be good going with either GTX or Syntec with maintence doses of rx.

I'm always amused that the herd likes the HM oils, disregards Terry's advice, and piles on more recommendations for HM oils....
LOL

I have a Neon. I hire Terry every UOA. Listen to what he recommends; it's better advice than anyone else gives you. Then, hire him at your next oil change for a specific look at what's going on and what you ought to be doing.

mix 1oW 30 and 10W 40? Ive read inn my owners manual and CHilton book, you should NEVER go out of grade or mix. That is safe?
YEah, myc ar is maionly a 20 mile a day ride. I buht it 2nd hand back in 2000, with only 34,000 miles on it. So, in 7 years i have gotten it over 102,000 miles. I was thinking maxlife, as it is jsu bodering a 40 weight... thanks all:)

Nothing wrong with Terry's advice. However I just use Shell Rotella T 10W-30. I never really saw an advantage to a HM over a HDEO. The HDEO definately gives a higher end viscosity, improved TBN, seal conditioners, and oxidation resistance.

Quote:

Nothing wrong with Terry's advice. However I just use Shell Rotella T 10W-30. I never really saw an advantage to a HM over a HDEO. The HDEO definately gives a higher end viscosity (for grade), improved TBN, more detergents, seal conditioners, and oxidation resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back