Lamborghini Murcielago Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought I would stir up the nest a little. It has been too quiet here.

I am thinking about dropping the Red Line 5W-20 and putting in Motorcraft blend 5W-20. Comments?

aehaas

With the relatively low oil temps you have reported from it, I don't see a problem with using it, especially since you'll be doing a UOA to check up on it.

It's been a while since I owned one of those so can't remember what oils it specs. LoL
Can you tell us that. Oil temps while driving would be helpful too. If it runs as cool as the Enzos we both have (LoL again), that would sway my mind.

AEHaas, actually using a 20 weight. Gosh, am I impressed, as IIRC, weren't you the one saying that 40 weight was the cat's meow for most engines these days?
grin.gif
cool.gif
driving.gif

I'll second (or third, or fourth...) using MC 5W-20. It has shown outstanding results in all sorts of engines, in all sorts of climates. Seems to be 'one' of the toughest 5W-20's on the market.

Are you trying to save money on that lambo? I'm confused, what's your reasoning? Just for fun?

Well, RL 5w-20 is arguably the best 20wt oil on the market. If I owned that car, that is the oil i'd be using however, it appears the temps you see would be fine for using MC. How about Havoline 5w-20? Good stuff. As you said, synthetic blends could be the best.

Lamborghini recommends the 5W-40 Agip for the Murcielago. My use (actually my wife's use) is only around town and occasionally on I-75 but the car never sees more than a speed of 90 MPH. With the 5W-20 Red Line the oil temperature has never gone above 210 F.

I would consider Amsoil but over time they always thicken too much for me, particularly at the start up temperatures of 50 - 70 F.

I care more about having the oil not too thick at 50 - 70 than whatever it is at 212 F. And I care least about the HTHS.

aehaas

I do not care what the oil costs. It is not in the equation. I believe the MC oil blend will show even less wear than the Red Line oil and may show a lower operating oil temperature.

aehaas

Quote:

I do not care what the oil costs. It is not in the equation. I believe the MC oil blend will show even less wear than the Red Line oil and may show a lower operating oil temperature.

aehaas

Why?

bruce

Quote:

I would consider Amsoil but over time they always thicken too much for me, particularly at the start up temperatures of 50 - 70 F.

Always? Some oils, especially the old 0W-30 used to, in some applications. Especially in high copper, high blow by engines. We haven't see this recently and certainly not in the 0W-20.

Sorry, one should never use the word always. I meant that the oils I was looking at for my applications seemed to thicken over time.

aehaas

offtopic.gif

Forget 5w20, I dont see a point of Murcielago in the first place. I'd rather buy a Bentley or heck even a Lexus LS460H and have a chaffeur drive me around... Driving lamborghini around town doesnt sound much fun.. That thing is purpose built for speed and that too on smooth paved roads which I am sure is not the case even in West Palm Beach.

Quote:

I am thinking about dropping the Red Line 5W-20 and putting in Motorcraft blend 5W-20. Comments?

aehaas

Trying to save some $$$ on the service? Motorcraft only works in Fords.

You know, I ( as well as many others ) would probably be happy to come over and change your oil using whatever oil you spec for this car.

The catch is that we have to test drive the car to ensure we did quality work
wink.gif

"Forget 5w20, I dont see a point of Murcielago in the first place. I'd rather buy a Bentley or heck even a Lexus LS460H and have a chaffeur drive me around... Driving lamborghini around town doesnt sound much fun.. That thing is purpose built for speed and that too on smooth paved roads which I am sure is not the case even in West Palm Beach. "

I will save your life by not showing my wife what you have written.

lindadriveway.jpg

murcieint.jpg

It is 3 years old and she loves it. She drives it at least twice a week.

Quote:

Quote:

aehaas

Trying to save some $$$ on the service? Motorcraft only works in Fords.

I hope you're not being serious
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back