Dino oil for VQ35HR - (2007 Infiniti G35) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there ... just joined BITOG (after being a guest for quite sometime !!) ...

What is the recommended dino oil to use for my 2007 Infiniti G35 with the VQ35HR engine ? (specd to use a 5W-30)

I want to use dino for the first 10K miles or so and then consider switching to synthetic.

Ideas on some good dino that the VQ35 likes ? (In Austin ... so only warm weather for the next 6+ months !)

Thanks
grin.gif

Pablo .... so what are some of the "top tier" conventional oils ??

Castrol GTX a good bet ?? Anything better than that ?

Check out This Post . It has a really good comparison of a few dinos and synthetics. It looks like in the VQ engine, the regular old Pennzoil yellow bottle dino is hard to beat.

Don't try the Havoline DustSheild formula, I tried that out in my 2k6 Highlander and it seemed the vehicle was quite noisy. Anway, this weeked I switched to PP with 9K on the odometer.

I have an '04 G35 with the VQ35 engine. I've used GTX 5W-30 for the first 30k and have now switched over to Pennzoil Platinum Full synthetic. The engine is doing well and seems to be a little quiter with the synthetic.

Congrats on the nice car btw.

Thanks folks .... I'll probably try either Pennzoil or GTX dino for now.

Maybe PP or GC or whatever is the flavor of the month when it comes time for switch to a synthetic !!

@hominid7: thanks for the UOA links ... I've also seen before that Mobil1 doesn't work out in the VQ engine in most cases (high wear for some reason)

@Spartuss: Thanks ... it is my 1st Infiniti -- very nice car for sure
smile.gif
Can't wait for the official break-in to complete before opening her up !!

Quote:

I've also seen before that Mobil1 doesn't work out in the VQ engine in most cases (high wear for some reason)

That doesn't hold true for all VQ engines. I have a 2003 6Mt and had Mobile 1 in it for about 5000 miles. No consumption issues. I will say that after switching to Amsoil synthetic the car sounds and feels like it is running easier and smoother.

Do get the Amsoil air filter.

Did you get a UOA on Mobil 1 on the VQ ??

I think most UOAs show elevated wear .... maybe it is not that much to show up in day to day driving (like noise or whatever).

I think the VQ loves GC and also PP ..... so will give those a shot later in its life
smile.gif

Max:

welcome.gif
to BITOG. I used to have an 04 G35, which of course had the DE version of the VQ35. I never got around to trying M1 myself (I used mostly German Castrol, or GC as it's commonly called here), but you're right, a lot of owner result less than perfect results with M1 in this engine. I don't know, quite honestly, how much changing they did with the new version ("all new" if you believe ad copy blather...). One thing I found interesting about the DE was that the manual called for 5w-30, 10w-30, or 10w-40. Does N/I still allow that range of oils? Personally, I believe that my engine did better, and sounded better on "thicker" oils (GC, though a 0w-30, is almost a 40 wt when hot). Many members disagree, and there have been some fine "thin" 30 dino results with the DE. Break that puppy in, and get us some UOA results for the new VQ!
cheers.gif

i never heard M1 was ever an issue with the VQ. It's actually highly recommended on maxima.org with tests to back it up.

please enlighten me otherwise if necessary. I have a case waiting to switch out my castrol gtx in my 04.

NM80: Have a look through the UOA sub-forum. There are several examples I can recall of less-than-stellar M1+VQ results. None disastrous, but my conclusion is certainly that you can do better than M1 in the VQ. That said, I would not hesitate to use that case, but I would UOA it to see how you do.

Some food for thought (NOT offered as conclusive at all): until recently, most of the flavors of 30 wt M1 were relatively low vis for a 30 grade (some slightly below 10 cSt). In the last 6-9 months, looking at the Mobil website, it seems that virtually all the M1 30 wt offerings have crept up to around 11 cSt (except, oddly enough standard flavor 10w-30, which is still at 10 cSt). My theory (again, a theory, partly supported by my UOA, not supported by some others) is that the VQ, at least in some cases, runs better on a heavy 30 wt oil. Maybe this explains the "off" M1 results we sometimes see. Then again, maybe it doesn't...

Given Nissan's affinity for slightly thicker oils, I'll take a wild guess and say Castrol GTX 10W-40 would probably suit that motor nicely.
wink.gif

omg you got a lot more choices with 5w-30...06 and 07 Accord V6s recommend 5w-20s..Mobil clean 5000 is what I used and it is real good and gets good UOAs..AFTER THAT, i used Dc75k which was lethargic but good too..all that set me up for a jolt with the MC and now with PP! but those are blends and full syn so not your question.

nopics.gif

Last edited:
ekpolk ... thanks for the welcome
laugh.gif

The VQ35HR (the supposed 80% all new engine) specs only a 5W30 for all times and places.

I also own an older Maxima (VQ30DE) which said I could use 5w30 or 10w30 or 10w40 -- exactly like your 04G.

Don't know why they made this change -- maybe to make life easier for owners and their mechanics ??
I've also heard good things about VQ and GC ... so that's something I will try once I hit say 10k miles.

thanks

Quote:

It's actually highly recommended on maxima.org with tests to back it up.

Link please.

From what I've seen, most org "experts" just repeat XOM's marketing drivel. These are the guys that usually dump the M1 after only 3K-5K miles and/or have such bad blowby that the makeup oil is nearly 50%.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back