Boron: 13
Silicon: 5
Sodium: 0
Calcium: 2607
Magnesium:9
Phosphorus:1045
Zinc: 1212
Barium: 0

Viscosity: 71.5 (should be between 69-80)
Flashpoint: 405
Fuel: .5% (should be 2% or below)
No coolant or water
Insolubles: .3 (should be below .6%)

How's everything look? I'm looking to switch to synthetic.

-Kelly

No need for cost of synthetic. In a diesel, synthetics usually benefit the cold start crowd. I would think Florida doesn't worry about 'cold' too much.

If you want to use a synthetic for longer OCIs, TBN would be needed to help determine safe longer drain intervals.

A bypass filter, along with the same mineral oil, would also help produce longer OCIs.

If you want to use synthetic for peace of mind, do it!

The engine has no need for synthetic oil Unless starting in freezing weather. Which global warming hasn't caused freezing weather in Fla. yet not a cold spell but like Minnesota weather. unDummy ,what kind of peace of mind comes from syn oil ?
grin.gif

I'll stick with the Rotella and keep changing at 5k, I like to get the fuel out even though mine is low compared to normal. I'm happy to have a good engine, I'll do it every othe change or so and watch for trends.

-Kelly

Great looking UOA. Unless your hades bent on switching to a syn, I'd stick with Rotella. I'd venture to say that your OCI's could easily be stretched out (I'd get a TBN to verify).

Was this the CI-4+ rotella or the CJ-4?

Yet another good Rotella-T report! I concur with the rest: Get the TBN test, at least to make sure you aren't going too far. As you've probably already learned, PSDs are known for shearing the oil down. Your's has stayed well into the 40-weight range even after 5300 mi, so you done good! IMHO, as expressed by others, save your money and stick with the Dino. You won't gain much going syn! Take your wife out for a meal instead! In the truck. And make sure they have valet parking!

FWIW to you, I'm about halfway through a 6K interval test on my Powersmoke (6.9L IDI) on Rotella-T after having used 4K intervals for about 15 years. The TBN is still about 9-10 after 4K (usually with a quart added) so I figure I can go a lot farther.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back