FilterMag Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use it on the oil filter. I cut open the filter (magnet still attached) and found what you see on the pics on their website: rows of gritty ferrous particles stuck where the magnet rows are. Excellent product.

How does one know that the magnet is doing anything different than what the filter is doing? I mean just because there are iron and steel particles on the inside of the can where the magnet is that doesn't mean that the filter media wouldn't have caught the same paritcles anyway. Has anyone put those particles under a microscope and measured their sizes to see if they would pass through the filter media?

Based on my reading through their marketing information one of their claims seems to be that the material caught by the magnet is material that the filter doesn't have to remove thereby extending the life of the filter and extending maintenance intervals.

Quote:

How does one know that the magnet is doing anything different than what the filter is doing? I mean just because there are iron and steel particles on the inside of the can where the magnet is that doesn't mean that the filter media wouldn't have caught the same paritcles anyway. Has anyone put those particles under a microscope and measured their sizes to see if they would pass through the filter media?

I also have a magnet in the inside tube of the filter that gets filtered oil. It still catches ferrous debris. Magnets catch a huge range of sizes, while filters don't. I've looked at the particles caught by my magnet that gets only filtered oil under a microscope. I measured their size (relative to a hair of known diameter) and as you'd expect for this magnet, they were smaller than what my filter can catch. Didn't do it on the Filtermag particles, just looked at them with naked eye and rubbed them between my fingers. I used the microscope for magnetic drain plug particles, and a few of them were very big...5 times the diameter of the hair! Most were MUCH smaller. That was the first use of that magnet so it had 80k miles worth of oil pan particles to catch.

Having magnets catching debris on both sides of the oil flow is good science. That shows that having a magnet only on the outer can of the filter doesn't catch all of the particles. It seems the more magnets, in different places in the oil stream, the better. Of course magnets only catch ferrous materials.

I just bought a three pack of cow magnets at the local tractor supply
smile.gif
patriot.gif

I bought a "grab bag" of Neodymium Iron Boron magnets from force field magnets for about $20. These things are incredibly powerful and I have several installed on my filters right now. If you have not worked with this type of magnet before then prepare to be amazed.

I work with NeFeB magnets at my job in high-energy physics, I can attest that they are dangerously strong. Handle with caution. The machine I'm currently working on has ~1070 SmCo magnets with a cumulative attractive force measured in tons.

I suppose I could stick a couple of the broken spares on one of my filters for an interval and see what it does. As gimmicky as it seems it sure does seem like it should work. My biggest fear is having the magnets come loose during use and release their cache of ferromagnetic material. I think the filtermag reduces the chance if this considerably with its mounting arrangement.

Like so many products (bypass filters, inline AT and PS filters, etc.) I see this product as a waste of money for me, as rust will kill my vehicles long before wear.

The NeFeB magnets are somewhat fragile so I've just stuck with using them outside the metal can. But if stuck on a metal core tube even if they broke I think the pieces would just adhere to the tube.

If you have access to scrap magnets then the cost seems pretty low for the experiment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back